How can I get my 28 month old daughter to eat more veggies?

I tried many ways that i know of but she is still defiant and wont dare touch them. She'll help me cook them but i give her one of them to eat she turns away and says "NO!" and throws them.

Any ideas will be of great use.

mom2samanthaR

Asked by mom2samanthaR at 5:04 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I make homemade hot pockets. dough is simply made with water, flour, salt, flour and yeast, or you can buy tubs of croissant rolls. I usually heat up cream of chicken soup and add in whatever, great opportunity to add veggies my son doesnt like. I stuff the dough w/ the mix, stick them in the oven and voila we have pocket sandwiches. my son loves them and always devours them. Little did he know he ate peas, spinach or whatever else mwahahahaaaa! if your dd likes pasta w/ tomato sauce, you can always puree veggies into the sauce, if she likes scrambled eggs you can add some pureed veggies for an omelet. Look around online for recipes! my friend gave me one for chocolate cookies w/ chick peas. they tasted delicious and you would never have known they were in there.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 5:09 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Many people have used purees to sneak them into food. Otherwise, you just have to keep offering them. They say you have to offer food up to 7 times before a kid will consider eating something new. I've offered my son veggies about 20 times and he still balks at them.
    inthepit

Answer by inthepit at 5:11 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• If she likes mashed potatoes try mashed cauliflower...she'll never know the difference
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 5:24 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• agree. hide them in her food so she doesn't taste them! :)
    anxious1stimer

Answer by anxious1stimer at 6:03 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• What worked for my twins...whenever I was cooking dinner and they were starving I would ALWAYS offer whatever raw veggie I was preparing for dinner. Green peppers, cucumbers, red peppers, and carrots. At first they did not like them or only liked one for a little while but by not giving up they now love all of them. I also made it sound fun. I yell out "who wants to try a cucumber" and they would come running to try it. On the days they were not interested I did not stop and tried next time. Also that is how I got them to love salad. They would be SOO hungry I would let them start on salad every time while I was preparing the table and such. I put some fun things in they like, dried cranberries, cheese etc... Also, I myself hate califlower. I put califlower in the mashed potatoes and I actually even like them as well as the kids. Putting pumpkin in recipes is a good source of beta carotene (pancakes).
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 7:10 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Oh another thing that worked for my oldest most picky son. I put mushrooms in my meatloaf. Its the same color as the ground beef. I make sure to cut it up small enough. He hates mushrooms but loves meatloaf!!
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 7:13 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I never offered anything else. I knew he would not go hungry. For example...MY son is not big on broccoli. But he has to try at least 3 bites when it served. I am hoping he will eventually like it. :)
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:19 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Puree them, and put them in soups, casseroles, sauces.
    Cover them w/cheese or dip/ranch.
    Offer her a juice/veg blend drink, but watch the sugar!
    LadyCash

Answer by LadyCash at 1:56 AM on Oct. 20, 2010