Do you feel like your baby's doctor totally supports breast feeding/co-sleeping?

I told the doctor I wished she slept more but in a joking sort of way. He told me to put her down awake and let her work it out and get to sleep. Also told me not to have her in the room with me b/c she can see me and will wake up and need me. This is a 8 week old totally breast fed baby we are talking about. Anyone else with me?

anxious1stimer

Asked by anxious1stimer at 5:05 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My doctor totally supports breast feeding. I'm not sure about co-sleeping, it never came up...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:08 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Not so much cosleeping but he is fully in support of my breastfeeding even though she has only gained 3lbs5oz in the 4 months she has been here. He even did an examination WHILE I was breastfeeding one day. I love my baby's doctor. He's Jewish like we are.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 5:08 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• My doctor was completely supportive. We co-slept for about 6 months and bf for a year with the first one and 9 months with the second one. He gave some suggestions about sleeping but there was no pressure at all and I didn't feel judged for co-sleeping. If you feel uncomfortable, maybe ask some other area mommies about their doctor recommendations.
    inthepit

Answer by inthepit at 5:09 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I cant imagine how a doctor could not fully support breatfeeding..it really blows my mind. My dd is 8 so I havent had to deal with this in a while but I cant imagine why medical professionals would push formula.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:09 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Yea know how you feel my doctor was the same way with my daughter, lol I did not listen, she slept in the bed with me till she was almost a year! But atleast he is really big on breast feeding. co-sleeping is not for everyone, but worked well for me :)
    ashcrash

Answer by ashcrash at 5:10 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• she was proud of my determination to breastfeed but still continued to encourage me to formula feed. I didnt like that at all
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 5:12 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Mine slept with me until 2-3 months of age. It was much easier to feed in the middle of the night if I didn't even have to open my eyes.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 5:12 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Mine supports breastfeeding and having the baby in the same room, but probably not fully cosleeping. I was surprised when at either 4 or 6 months (I can't remember which appointment) the paper work the doctor gave me said "baby should still be in your room at night" The only time I haven't felt fully supported with breastfeeding was when I went in for my youngest son's first appointment at 4 days old and my milk still wasn't in yet and he told me to give him some formula, but I didn't do it.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 5:19 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• No! My pedi is awesome. He's one of those that doesn't pressure you into anything and only offers advice if you ask for it. I found a keeper for sure.
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 5:23 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• My dr supports whatever decision I as a mother make about breastfeeding/cosleeping. I, however, tend to agree with your pediatrician. I have breastfed all 5 of my children, but never coslept - they all slept through the night (8 plus hours) by 2 months, I think in large part because I put them down awake since birth and they had learned to get to sleep by themselves.

Answer by missanc at 5:28 PM on Oct. 19, 2010