tantrum or self expression?

so, youngest, 3 yo, has started this yelling thing. for example, he wanted help buttoning his pants. but in his toy room, not in the office. so when i would not go to him to help, he went in his toy room and started yelling. not sure what he was yelling, but something along the lines of button my pants! my other 3 boys NEVER threw tamtrums, anywhere. so, if he does it in the other room, not bothering anybody, is it a tantrum or self expression?

itzmyzoo

Asked by itzmyzoo at 5:58 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• haha... sorry that made me laugh, I would think its self expression..lol!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:59 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Isn't a tantrum self-expression?? You have to decide for yourself if it's ok for him to work out his frustration in his room, or if it's something that needs to be stopped. Personally, I'm not a fan of labeling things with fancy expressions. Not everything that is "self-expression" is appropriate, and children need to learn how to express themselves appropriately. Good luck, mama!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 6:01 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• He's testing to see how far he can push you. If he's the youngest, he probably wants ALL of your attention, no matter how he goes about getting it.
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 6:02 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• He's definitely trying to tell you something! Yelling in his own room is far more appropriate than yelling in common areas of the house or yelling at you.
    J-M

Answer by J-M at 6:20 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• my 3 yr old screams about EVERYTHIG! I really cant handle it, and we have our 5th child on the way! We discovered, that she simply feels unheard, so the way we solved the problem was to be much more attentive to her actions and reactions to things! We have actually now taught her that screaming and crying is for when you are hurt or sad, not for help...etc. To ASK for help or we will ot give it to her! Screaming/crying results in being ignored! We pay attenton to good bahavior, and comunication skills! GL
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:16 PM on Oct. 20, 2010