What in the world is wrong with today's youth? adult content

I hear of bullying all the time in schools, but today, my DD came home to let me know that a classmate of hers committed suicide because he was getting severely bullied. Why was he getting bullied? Because he was into Goth and "different" from the popular crowd. It pains me to think that kids are so mean today and scares me because these are the future generation. Another thing, what the hell is wrong with the parents of these bullies? I think the parents themselves need bitch slapped for raising their kids to be so mean & nasty. These young punks now days drive around in mommy & daddy's beamer thinking their shit don't stink and are as mean as sin and I blame the parents for that. Opinions?

TeensMom07

Asked by TeensMom07 at 5:59 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I have run in to those parents too often.. the "oh god, they are just kids, its no big deal" It makes me so sad... I'm so sorry for this family who has to grieve the loss of their child now..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 6:01 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I agree, it's awful... And you do have to wonder where they pick up their prejudices, the parents are definitely the most likely culprits. It's so sad to see a kid be SO beat down that they don't see any other way out besides suicide...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:01 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Angry absent parents.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 6:03 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I agree and not only with bullying but today's kids are way worse than they used to be with sex and everything. How sad, he must of been in a great deal of pain, did the parents not notice? I have lost friends to suicide and it's awful. I would take this opportunity to talk with your child.
    momofone221

Answer by momofone221 at 6:04 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• There have always been mean kids. There will always be mean kids. It's part of life. This boy who committed suicide probably had other issues, depression/bipolar to be so hurt to take his own life. I'm not saying that it's excusable, it absolutely isn't. Further I don't think I can blame parents. The parents aren't shadowing their kids everywhere they go. Unless the school or other parents call and tell them what their child is doing in school they are probably oblivious. They don't have to be brought up as jerks, some people just are. It's human nature to find a pecking order, and unfortunately, someone is on the bottom of it.

I was bullied like no one else I"ve ever met. Everyone avoided me. I literally had NO friends, no one to talk to, and even though I told, the school did nothing about it because there was "no proof". And still, this is my opinion.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:07 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I blame the parents. It's really becoming an epidemic.

btw: Tomorrow (Weds) you can support the anti bullying campaign by wearing purple. Spread the word.

http://wn.com/Wear_Purple_on_October_20th,_2010

parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 6:07 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I wish I knew too. My 5th grader told me that not only has he been bullied at school, but when he threatened to tell, the bully told him he would burn our house down!

He says he's been punched in the face, kicked, stepped on, pushed, had his backpack rifled through, items stolen out of his desk (like his school books) and thrown into the garbage.

I think there's a lot of people that just grew up apathetic and they don't CARE what their kids do. They treat their kids like an accessory for their outfit rather than a person with actual needs.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 6:12 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Bullying is a major problem, but it isn't always the parent's fault. People are quick to play the blame game, but there are often times more issues that what you see on the surface. I think as parents we need to not only know about our own kids but also teach them that if they see bullying happen to let someone know. I am thankful that both of my kids feel confident enough to not only not be a bully but to stand up to them when they see it happening.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:18 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• its def the parents fault
    KKline

Answer by KKline at 6:22 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• actually to add.. usually these children started off with bullying their parents.. and the parents did nothing
    KKline

Answer by KKline at 6:23 PM on Oct. 19, 2010