What do you do when there is not enough money to buy food for your kids?

Our food stamps have run out and got denied for reapproval. My husband has a job but doesn't make enough to cover everything and we were relying on that to feed our kids. I have been trying to find a job but it has been hard so I started working from home but that is not going so well. We are losing our house and I feel like nothing is going to get better. Anyone else in the same boat or has been in the same situation. Does it get better? What did you do to get out of it?

mwallace1023

Asked by mwallace1023 at 6:02 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• what are you doing to work from home?
    mcashman815

Answer by mcashman815 at 6:07 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Well, 1st I wanted to give you a Hug then I wanted you to know to look at your churches to see if they can help with any food. We have a church here that I know of might be others also that has a free food program for people in need.I have never been in this postion but I would buy the cheapest of anything I could find just to get by Mac & Cheese, Ramon noodles, cheapest cereal anything that I could think of that was Ultra cheap. Might not be the healthiest but at least the kids would be fed. Look into your area shelters see what they have to offer. I would also cut back on EVERYTHING i could internet, phone, cable Good Luck!

hugs

Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:09 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I'm sorry things are seemingly getting worse. Is there anything you can sell collectibles, jewelry, furniture wise to help? Look into pantry's and such for now and go back to the foodstamp office and reapply, perhaps the denial was incorrectly given
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:09 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Go to your local social services office and find out what is available. Sometimes there are churches or charities that hand out bread. When you do get money, DON'T BY DRINKS OR JUNK FOOD! Buy nutritious stables like beans, rice, and potatoes, which are all very inexpensive. Buy fresh fruits and veggies. Buy bread and peanut butter and jelly. Very filling. Then your dairy. Shop wisely! Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 6:09 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• we are still there. keep on welfare. they wouldn't do anything for us for a year. find out where the local food banks are. some are part of churches, salvation army, and depending where you live the board of trustees will help. keep thinking positive thoughts! that is a major thing. have faith and just let god guide you. we are slowly getting on our feet. but i had to pian in the neck with welfare. if after a month you can't see your case worker, go above her head. if that doesn't work my mom says go to the governor. hope this helps
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 6:09 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• WE have a few local food banks we have had to rely on in the recent past. Dh just got a second job at McDonald's. Keep looking stores are starting to think about holidays now. What about WIC those income limits are a little higher. (At least here)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:09 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Downsize, sell things, food pantries etc etc. In these times so many are where you are that never have been before. Good luck momma and if you need anything even an ear PM me!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 6:09 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Can you visit a food pantry? I'm sorry to hear of your situation, I hope things get better soon. Another idea, if you have cable, internet, things like that, have them shut off till you're in a better situation financially. I know it sucks, but you do what you gotta do to make it through those rough times.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 6:10 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• We were in a loosing our house situation (we will NEVER work with Countrywide again) when the house market began to fall about 3 years ago. We gave up the house, filed bankruptcy to avoid being penalized the $50,000 that Countrywide took off the cost of the house when they bought if from themselves and rented for a while. We just bought another house much closer to hubby's work and that we could pay cash for.

It will get better. For now, talk to your local ministerial alliance or visit a food bank in your area. Apply for free/reduced school lunches if your kids are in school and check out this menu that can feed your family for $70 a week. http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/70dollarmenu.htm

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:12 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Angel Food Ministries is a great program!
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 6:14 PM on Oct. 19, 2010