Does fish oil supplements make your baby smarter?

tasches

Asked by tasches at 6:11 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Go here and watch the video!!!

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/10/16/rudi-moerck-on-fish-oil.aspx
    luvbeinmomma

Answer by luvbeinmomma at 4:21 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Fish oil is recommended for the omega 3 fatty acids, which are the building blocks for the brain. Will it make your kid smarter? I don't know exactly how it works.

Omega 3's, however, can be found other places besides fish oil. Olive oil and flax are good sources, for example. Personally, I think fish oil is just totally disgusting! I ground up several cups of flax and keep it in the fridge (it's best if kept cool) and I put it in my sons cereal sometimes.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 6:15 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I don't think that it will specifically make them smarter, and how could you even really know. BUT, as the pp mentioned, they contain essential fatty acids that are used in brain tissue. I believe that there has been a link found between these EFA and improved brain function, but I think it is like most vitamins- if you have none then a supplement helps, if you have some then taking more doesn't do too much. Do you eat fish? Walnuts? If you don't eat any omega-3's then take a supplement. If you are BF then they will get to your milk, if not try the formulas with EFA.
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 11:27 PM on Oct. 19, 2010