if you went to the ER for pain in early pregnancy...

What did they do? Did they just do an ultrasound? pelvic exam? The pain I'm having isn't too bad and it isn't constant but I am still concerned about ectopic and its making me crazy so I want to go to the ER just to put my mind at rest. But I am wondering what will they do? And with insurance does anyone know what it would cost me? I have never been to the ER before. I have talked to my doctor (don't see them for 9 days) and they just keep brushing me off and telling me its 'probably' normal stretching or round ligament pain (pain in right side only) and they don't seem to be taking me seriously.

luvmylilbean

Asked by luvmylilbean at 6:11 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I went at about 8 weeks because I felt like I was having kidney stones again the pain was so bad. They did an ultrasound and everything seemed fine with the aby and urine sample showed no stones or problem, they gave me pain meds and sent me on my way....which I didn't take
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:13 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• go with ur gut. if the doc is telling u it's ok then it prob is. they could be sued like crazy if anything were to happen. i think (or at least would hope) they would tell u to go to er if they suspected anything.
    anxious1stimer

Answer by anxious1stimer at 6:32 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• They will check you then order blood work and they might do an u/s if they feel it is necessary

ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 6:34 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• They just check your urine i think..I was in extreme pain and guess what , i had a UTI.
    youngmm

Answer by youngmm at 6:58 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• my doctor tells me to go to the ER any time i call with a concern no matter how minimal it may seem... call your insurance company to find out the requirements for emergency care. you may have a nurse line with your insurance that can authorize a visit, your plan might have "prudent person" language whereby basically they have to cover it if you go and it's nothing but a reasonable person would think there was something serious, some will not cover unless it's a life-threatening emergency. but call and get information from the insurance company - ask questions until you understand everything they're saying. if they do not have evening customer service hours and you have access in paper or online to your booklet of benefits, i can try to help you decipher - i worked in the business for over 12 years. just PM me if you need that help - I should be off and on tonight - i'm feeling sick so computer is all i can handle.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 7:35 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I went to the ER at 12 weeks last pregnancy cause I passed several clots all they did was an ultrasound and put me on pelvic rest. But that ultrasound is one of the most comforting things you will ever see if you thing there is a problem.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 8:39 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• You don't usually need authorization to go to the ER because it's assumed that you are going there for an emergency and if you had time for authorization, you'd just see your regular doctor. Your insurance either has an ER copay, a co-insurance, or nothing. Look at your insurance card, it should say on the front what your ER copays are.

Either way you do not have to pay at the time of the visit. Due to what is called EMTALA (the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Law) hospitals are not allowed to turn away patients for inability to pay in the ER. You will be seen and treated, and you'd be responsible for your copay/coinsurance if you have any only after the fact and they can bill you later. If they try to collect money from you prior to treatment they could loose their participation with Medicare.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:22 PM on Oct. 19, 2010