Is it safe to be induced?

When is it necessary for a doctor to induce you? Is it even safe at 40 41 weeks? My doctor said at 41 weeks if I don't go into labor myself. Is this something to be worried about or question?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:36 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Pregnancy

• if a dr does it then yes
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 5:37 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Yes it's safe, Talk to your doctor about all your options and do research so you're fully informed. Ask him or her what type of method are they going to use to induce you. There are a few different ways. I wouldn't be concerned about being induced if the DR recommends it chances are it's necessary. The average doctor won't recommend inducing you unless they have to.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 5:39 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• No choice is 100% safe. It's about weighing the risks and potential benefits. Induction does increase the chances of other complications and c-section. But at 42 weeks the chances of still birth go up to a point where it is statistically well worth the risk to induce. It is pretty standard for doctors to recommend induction at 41 weeks, for that reason. Lots of women are induced every day and go on to have pretty normal deliveries and healthy babies.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 5:43 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I was induced and didn't have any problems i think you should only be induced if you have too. I agree bublycute talk to you DR about all the options and risks.
    BabyGsMaMa13

Answer by BabyGsMaMa13 at 5:46 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Why blindly trust your doctor? I wouldn't. I do my own research. Full term can up to 43 weeks. If you are feeling that you aren't ready tell your doctor that you want to wait. Babies are really born on their own schedule and too many doctors need to have control of the situation.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 5:47 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Doctors induce after 41 weeks because of the increased chance of something happening to the baby once its full term. (Increased chances of stillbirth, lowered nutrition from an aged placenta, increased chance of infant having a BM, etc) It's basically the popular opinion of the medical community that the benefit of inducing out weighs the risks. Definitely research it for yourself. Its fairly commonly used - I was induced twice now. My children were healthy and no ill side effects for me. Good luck!
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 6:15 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Again and again I am seeing everyone using 40 weeks as full term, but full term is 40-42 weeks at least... and if your dates are from an u/s, they can be off by up to 2 weeks.

reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 6:29 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Just some food for thought, you need to really be careful with this. I was induced and after receiving pitocin it caused my uterus to contract to hard and ruptured, which in turn ended in an emergency C-section and a baby that had to be resuscitated, spend 2 months in the NICU with severe neurologic damage, and he eventually passed from the problems associated with it. I almost died on the table. This is one of the side effects no one likes to talk about or mention, they just want you to sign the waiver to have it done and proceed blindly.
    Peaches8701

Answer by Peaches8701 at 6:46 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• i was induced at 39 weeks due to gestational diabetes but its okay only thing that went wrong was my babys heard rate kept dropping to like11 beats per minute i had to have an emergency c-section....but iwas so drugged up i barely knew what was going on!
    MsDunn4

Answer by MsDunn4 at 7:50 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• and responding to peaches8701 i had the same problem my comtractions was coming so strong i had to be given so much pain medicine except for i wasnt given the medicine to make me have contrations they came on their own and my bag broke n everything i was fine on the table n my baby was champ! im sorry about ur lost hope all is well....but good luck to the lady w/the question...everything will b in god's hands.....trust in him...
    MsDunn4

Answer by MsDunn4 at 7:54 PM on Oct. 28, 2008