What can you do for a twisted ankle? how do you know if its broke?

Yesterday: From our Kitchen you have to step down into our living room. I was in kitchen, and my lil girl had her hard toy underneath her blanket that she had drug in front of the entrence to step down. I stepped down, and of course stepped on the hidden toy and my ankle went sidewaysand I heard it pop but I couldnt get up for about 10 minutes. I couldn't put all my weight on it, but I could walk, it hurt, but not bad. Last night, couldnt sleep, anyone i moved it, propped it up, nothing helped. Today, it hurts worse today then when I done it but on the inside of my ankle, that is where it is swollen, and the ankle itself on the outside just looks like a ball, but its hard. I dont know, I just know it hurts. How can you tell if it is broken, What can be done for the pain besides rotating ice? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Thank you.

Baby_Kisses08

Asked by Baby_Kisses08 at 6:35 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Health

• Ice pack/heat pad. If it was broken you wouldn't be able to walk on it.
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 6:37 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• RICE: Rest, Ice, Compression (wrap it with ace bandage) and Elevate it on pillows. the only wasy to see it's broken is by xray
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:40 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• You need an xray to be sure. Its possible to have a crack in the bone & still be able to walk. I had this happen.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 6:40 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• go to the docs to get it checked. a sprain is worse than if it's broken.
    anxious1stimer

Answer by anxious1stimer at 6:44 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I always thought if you broke it, it would swell up. Go get it xrayed.

Answer by louise2 at 6:45 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Even if you didn't actually break it, and I would think you would be in excrutiating pain when trying to walk, you could have a sprain or a what is called a hairline fracture which may take weeks to heal. I've used an ace bandage with sprains. You can buy them at the drug store or pharmacy. For pain, you can probably take one of the over the counter medicines or soak in epson salt in the tub to reduce swelling and relieve some of the pain for a short period of time.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:47 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I've always "heard" that is you can walk on it-it's not broke.
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 7:56 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I would go to a dr or and ER to get it checked out to make sure you didn't break it in anyway. If it heals wrong, it will always hurt. Get it checked out ASAP.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:58 AM on Oct. 20, 2010