First night alone with newborn.

I expected her daddy to be here with me too but he's had to rush off because of a family emergency, I'm rather nervous and not sure what to expect. She's just dozed off. How many times will she wake up? What can I expect? etc. I know i'm just being rather stupid but I'm really nervous now Daddy's gone and yeah. :S Please help, thank you. Sorry to ask another question so quickly.

sarah221

Asked by sarah221 at 5:38 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you will be fine, All babies are different though, So there is no right answer as to how long she will sleep. Are there any family members that can come stay with you? Remember, they don't come with manuals, just relax and try to get some rest yourself....
    GGMOSSMAMA

Answer by GGMOSSMAMA at 5:42 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Take a deep breath you will be fine trust me just try and stay calm and you will be fine I would plan on getting up every 2 hours
    Anonymous

• well all babys are differnt. But we can pray that your baby sleeps all ngiht. If not when she gets up make sure you feed her and change her and then she should go back to sleep. If she don't go back to sleep try to rock her and that worked with my baby. Don't be nervous i know you are going to be fine. If something happens she keeps crying after you feed and changed her just lay her down in her bed and walk off. You don't want to get upset thinking you don't know what she wants. You will soon know her cry and know what she wants. Hope I helped. God bless you
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 5:45 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• It is scary, not knowing what to expect adn not having someone to help but I promise you will be fine. All babies are different some eat every 2 hours others every 4 some sleep all night others are awake most the night. Just make sure to take care of her basic needs, feeding changing, some play time and sleeping. When she sleeps take a nap yourself and get caught up on rest while you can. Hopefully daddy will be home soon
    bigtrucksgirl

Answer by bigtrucksgirl at 5:59 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• You will be fine. You probably wont sleep much... expect to wake up every 2-3 hrs. Sleep when she sleeps. It sounds silly, but when I am home alone, I just turn on TV or radio or something and "pretend" someone else is there... LOL... this is how I used get through staying overnight by myself...
    Good luck girl!
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 8:26 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• You'll be fine hunny! Just trust those Mommy instincts of yours! Take care of her basic needs, and use this as some bonding time. She's still pretty young, so I wouldn't do too much, but rocking and singing are two things that are good for little ones. If she gets overly upset, try walking with her and shushing in her ear...it will remind her of the womb. Try to stay as calm as you can, babies can often feel tension and nervousness. I hope this helps! Good luck!
    ILuvMyBoyz0608

Answer by ILuvMyBoyz0608 at 8:33 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• they just say make sure they dont sleep all night without waking up cause they can become dehydrated
    Anonymous

• You'll be just fine sweetheart, just take a deep breath and stay calm. I was so scared the first time I had to be alne with my baby girl. It was her second day home from the hospital and I thought I was going to have a heart attack everytime she sighed in her sleep lol. My husband works from about 4 pm til at least midnight, usually closer to 2am, so I'm alone with her almost half the day, sometimes longer if he goes for groceries. Just try to say calm and remind yourself that you can do it, even when you feel like you can't. Also remember that all babies are different and no baby has an exact sleeping pattern. They're people, too. Sometimes they sleep longer than other times. Good luck and congrats! You'll be fine.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 1:57 AM on Oct. 29, 2008