can i start a sleep routine??

how early can you start a sleep/feeding routine and are there any really good tips for getting a 2 month old baby to sleep through the night?

ilovephoenix123

Asked by ilovephoenix123 at 5:38 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's hard at that age but yes you can get your baby on a routine, the best thing you can do is be consistent. If you want your child to sleep at three in the afternoon then make sure you're rocking your child to sleep at the same time every day.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 5:40 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I think you should try to establish a routine right away, it might not take for several months, but just keep it up and hopefully by 4 months you will have a good schedule down :)
    ELC

Answer by ELC at 5:47 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• is it ok to put him in his nursery and set my alarm to feed him when its time and just let him cry until its time to eat if he wakes up??
    ilovephoenix123

Answer by ilovephoenix123 at 5:48 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• oh it's very easy.....do the SAME thing everyday. You're baby will kinda establish his/her own routine but you can help just by doing the same thing. My son has been doing the same thing since he was born. Of course as they get a lil older it's easier. He now eats between 730 and 8 and down BY 9 then back up at 1130 and down for the night.

If he is crying and you know it's hunger go ahead and give him food. I either wake my son up at 1130 every night or he wakes himself up between 11 and 1130. Giving the right amount of food will help stay on that routine. Sometimes he only gets 2 oz bottle at the 8 feeding other times its 4 oz, just depending on how much he's had throughout the day. If he is geting enough nutrition through out the day he will sleep through the night. Until he gets enough to eat he's going to keep wakeing up as his belly is saying I'm hungry!

hope that helps if you have any questions feel free to pm me
    bigtrucksgirl

Answer by bigtrucksgirl at 5:57 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Yes... just be very consistent. Babies dont need night-lights so a dark room is just fine (and it provides less opportunity for distraction). Make naptimes during the day and night-time sleep very different... for example, dress baby warmer at night, have her/him sleep in a different place (ie: pack and play during the day, crib at night). Establishing a routine for your baby is essential to sleeping through the night. If you want more tips, try reading Baby Basics (they have a way to make your baby sleep through the night in 3 nights)... Good luck momma!
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 8:23 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• The best book I have found for getting LOs on a schedule is The Baby Whisperer. I hope this helps! Consistency is the key! :)
    ILuvMyBoyz0608

Answer by ILuvMyBoyz0608 at 8:28 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• our son is 4 months old almost and has been on a sleep schedule since he was 4-5 weeks. we start with a bath, massage, diaper and pj's, then rocked and last breast or bottle feeding, and then we put him in bed on his tummy, and in the last month or so we have just left him on his tummy, he sleeps approx. 11 hours total, and doesnt wake up for a dream feed or anything like that, but it takes patience, just keep doing the same things every night. dim the lights, turn the tv off or lower the volume, and just make it seem like you are headed for bed.. Good luck, if you need anything msg me
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 10:56 PM on Oct. 28, 2008