My 18 month old wakes in the night, Could it really be teething?

Help! My 18 month old for awhile now has been waking up several times in the night. We go into her room and lay her back down, tell her it is time to sleep and she goes right back to sleep. Some nights is happens once, others it may happen 3 or more times. She is also now waking up much earlier anywhere between 5:30a.m and 6:30a.m. She is getting some more teeth in, but if teething were really causing night waking, wouldn't she not be able to go right back to sleep? We keep a regular bedtime routine which includes bath, jammies, brush teeth, books then bed by 8:00p.m. every night. I leave the room before she has fallen asleep so she will do it on her own. I've tried different night lights, no night light, bedtime snack ??? I just don't know what is going on? Any advice?? Help, I'm so tired!

hollysybb

Asked by hollysybb at 6:47 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• could it be nightmares? could just be a stage too.
    anxious1stimer

Answer by anxious1stimer at 6:49 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Might just be a stage... My son didn't sleep through the night even ONCE until he was 18 months old. Now he's 2, and even though he's been sleeping through the night just fine for the past 7 months, he's been waking up again the past 2 nights. Hopefully he'll cut that out soon, heh.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:52 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• i know when my dd was cutting her teeth it would be the worst in the night time she would wake up and most of the time would go back to sleep and then wake up again, so i started giving her baby Tylenol for her teething at night, i assume that the drool was irritating it more. Good luck
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 6:53 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Is she sleep walking? Or just waking up at night. 2 different things. If she is sleep walking their is nothing you can do about it, she might grow out of it. I was a sleep walker as a child. It is inherited.
    But if it is just she is waking up for other reasons . Can't help you there.

Answer by louise2 at 6:53 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• At this age their bodies and minds are developing and changing at such a fast pace that they go through so many stages. It could be teething, growing pains, she could be about to reach a new milestone. This is a great opportunity to let her "self-sooth" if she's not crying out in pain, wet, or dirty. Good luck.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 6:53 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• She just wakes up crying a little bit and calling out for me... "mama, mama"... When I go into the room she is standing in her crib. I give her a hug and kiss and lay her back town. tell her its okay and then she's out by the time I put her blanket on her. I've tried Tylenol before bed and during the night but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I hope it is just a phase... a phase I can't wait until it's over!
    hollysybb

Comment by hollysybb (original poster) at 6:59 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Could she be watching too much "baby TV" during the day. My mom and dad babysit her during the day while my husband and I work (i'm only part time) and they just leave baby tv on for her the whole time I'm gone. ???
    hollysybb

Comment by hollysybb (original poster) at 7:01 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Could be an ear infection. I doubt it's from too much tv.
    Anonymous

• Girl, I wake up during the night and I am not teething!! LOL! Sometimes, people just wake up, infants included. Kids will not stay on the same schedule for very long, no one does.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:38 PM on Oct. 19, 2010