For those of you who celebrate Christmas.....Do your kids have an advent calendar?

Do they each have one?

What do you put in the pockets?

QandA

Asked by QandA at 6:49 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Holidays

• I am not religious at all but we do have the calendar I just call it the count down calendar to Santa and I fill it with different treats every night like a candy cane, chocolate Santas, chocolate money sometimes I even put real money in 1 slot whatever I think will fit sometimes just a note.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:57 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I remember having one when I was a kid, but they were prefilled with chocolate... And honestly, that's all it meant to me, a piece of chocolate a day. I will not get one for my kid, since I'm not religious. We do celebrate Christmas, just not in a religious way, heh.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:51 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Yes. I get the chocolate ones preferable a Cadbury one from the English shop or from Trader Joes. Thanks for reminding me I must get those.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 6:51 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Anouck - what does chocolate have to do with religion? It's fun.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 6:52 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• We put Hershey Kisses in ours.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:52 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I get him the prefilled chocolate ones. He enjoyed the countdown and the chocolate. It had nothing to do with religion.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 6:57 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• CHOCOLATE doesn't have anything to do with religion, ADVENT calendars do! Well, you can get non-religious ones nowadays, but originally, it's a religious thing.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:57 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advent
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:58 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• We don't have one yet, because I haven't found one I really like for a reasonable price. Not sure what I'd put in either.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 7:27 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• yes, i do have an advent calendar. it is a box with little doors with the numbers on the doors. every day i try to do something different. some days it is just a chocolate or candy cane. other days it is a 'treasure map' that leads to a prize that is too big to put in the little door lol. usually that is something like a part of the nativity scene they can find and then put it with the barn (idk what that little barn thing is called lol), but sometimes it is a book about christmas or a hotwheels. advent is so fun...it builds up the excitement of christmas even more and it reminds them why we celebrate christmas in the first place (well, in my house it does lol).

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:36 PM on Oct. 19, 2010