What are tips on storing fresh fruit?

How come the fruit can sit on the grocery store shelves for WHO KNOWS how long.....then I bring it home and the next day it is rotting/molding or in general going bad.

It seems to happen alot!

For example I bought a quart of strawberries yesterday, they all looked pretty good in the container from what I could tell. I just went to cut some up for lunch and they are all turning dark and getting bad spots.

I didn't put them in the fridge, b/c I figured they aren't refrigerated in the store.

*does anyone else have this problem?

*What am I doing wrong?

*Should I get some of those "new" Containers that claim to help air circulate and keep fresh fruit fresh longer?

I am so sick of wasting $ on this stuff!

bam920

Asked by bam920 at 4:16 PM on Jul. 3, 2008 in Food & Drink

• Ok so to update I bought the rubbermaid produce savers and have been pretty please so far....
    bam920

Answer by bam920 at 1:09 PM on Aug. 1, 2008

• I swear by the "Green bags" as advertised on TV. You can also now get them at Walmart. They are worth every penny.
    mamaswholub

Answer by mamaswholub at 9:55 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• I haven't tried the green bags. With strawberries, after bringing them home, I wash and cut them, put them back in the store bought container, refrigerate and try to let the kids eat them within a few days before they go bad.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 10:19 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• those cases in the grocery store are refridgerators. the plain stands where the apples and peaches and all are aren't.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 11:01 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• I know some people use Green Bags, but for me, they just got all wet inside and turned the food mushy. They did work for potatoes though. Have you tried going to your local farmer's market? Talk to the grower, you can ask how long ago they were picked and how to store them when you get home.
    Violin_Mom

Answer by Violin_Mom at 9:12 AM on Jul. 17, 2008