treatment for crooked jaw?

Hi,

I'm concerned about my son's jaw bite. When he closes his mouth his gums only touch on one side. When he gums his food he does it almost all on that one side. Has anyone ever experienced this or know possible treatments? He's only 10 1/2 months old and I'm going to talk more to the doctor at his 1 year visit. Previously we were just seeing if it corrected itself. I'm not sure if this is something that should be addressed when he's older or if we'd benefit to look into it now. Or maybe nothing can be done at all.

Thanks.

creative.kelly

Asked by creative.kelly at 7:15 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Kids' Health

• No idea but here is a bump for good luck. Have a good day!
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 7:19 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• my son had a severe under bite we are corrected it right now with an expander..he has to wear headgear every night for about 1 more year. Its about 18 months he has to wear it..the orthodontist said it was either that or jaw surgery when he gets older.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:22 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• i think you should wait until all of your sons baby teeth have come in and then speak with an orthodontist
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:23 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Talk to his doctor. It my fix on it's own. Maybe braces will help later on in life.

Answer by louise2 at 7:23 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Take note if he is sleeping with his mouth open. If a kid is mouth breather, their bite will start to narrow. To grow properly and in proportion, our upper/bottom jaw needs to have pressure on it at night. We had our 3 yr olds adenoids out because his upper jaw narrowing from mouth breathing at night. It hasn't been a year yet, but its defintely not getting any worse. It should start to even out as he grows.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 7:30 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Ask the doctor the next time you are in for a well check up and see what they say. I know a lot of things that appear to be problems when they are little end up correcting themselves so this could totally be a situation like that.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 9:08 PM on Oct. 19, 2010