Formula Question

My little girl is 6 months old. She has been on solids since she was 4 1/2 months. She sleeps from 7:30pm to 5:30-6am. She eats three solid meals a day, 2oz for breakfast, 4oz for lunch, 4oz for dinner. She also drinks five 4oz bottles. Is she getting to much or to little?

Momma2Miranda

Asked by Momma2Miranda at 7:29 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it sounds good to me.
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 7:31 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Sounds like a lot compared to my 10 month old. But Every child is different!
    jasesmommy0529

Answer by jasesmommy0529 at 7:31 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• To me it sounds like she is getting too few oz/day.... 25-30oz a day would be more appropriate for her age.... I would give her 5-6 oz each time... remember that foods should not replace what she is taking in as far as formula or breastmilk.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:38 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I think somewhere around 24-32 oz is typical for that age, but it depends on the baby and how much solid food they are getting. The more solid foods my DS ate, the less he drank, but I think it was still around 22-25 oz a day until he was over a year then I tried to reduce it a little more.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 7:45 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• The thing is that I am not the one taking down her bottles I have made her 6oz bottle and she will only drink 4-41/2oz of those bottles.
    Momma2Miranda

Comment by Momma2Miranda (original poster) at 7:48 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• If your pediatrician thinks she is gaining weight properly (following her growth curve on the charts) and she seems adequately hydrated, then it is probably enough for her--especially if she's the one deciding it's enough at each feeding. My son didn't like to take a lot at one time either (he never really drank more than 6 oz at a time) because he had GER. I generally fed him smaller amounts more often, but it still ended up being within the typical range for the total daily ounces. If you're afraid it's not quite enough, maybe offer one more feeding and space them a little closer together? If she's seems content, it may just be enough for her though.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 7:57 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• She is a very content baby, and before she started eating she was only in the lower 20th percentile and she is now a healthy 50th. So I think she is ok.
    Momma2Miranda

Comment by Momma2Miranda (original poster) at 8:08 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• 24-32oz of formula is what is recommended, so by that I would say she needs just a little more formula daily, but other than that it sounds great! Maybe try a couple 5oz bottles?
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 8:15 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• She was on 5oz bottles and she would vomit after drinking them so the doctor said that 4 would be better.
    Momma2Miranda

Comment by Momma2Miranda (original poster) at 8:48 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• she is not getting enough formula
    32 ounces a day is the minimum
    at 6 months old she should just be starting on solids
    she is too young to need 3 solid meals a day
    formula or breastmilk are supposed to be the main source of nutrition until 1 year old
    back off on the solids and get more formula in her
    Anonymous