Gays can now join the military openly. How well do you think this is going to go?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20101019/pl_yblog_upshot/dont-ask-dont-tell-where-do-we-go-from-here

Last week, U.S. District Judge Virginia Phillips issued a worldwide injunction on enforcement of the military's "Don't ask, don't tell" policy, which bans gays from serving openly in the armed forces. And yesterday, Judge Phillips signaled that she'll reject the government's request for a stay on the injunction, which was issued in a case brought by the Log Cabin Republicans, a gay-rights group.

All of which means that the full legal status of the ban remains a bit undetermined. Below is a look at the kinds of questions that will be resolved -- eventually -- as backers and opponents of the ban continue to battle over its implementation.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 7:32 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, when African Americans and other minorities were given rights, there were a lot of protests and controversy (still is!), but eventually people got over it. I think it'll be the same for our homosexual military members.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:35 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I can't even venture to guess how it's going to turn out at this point.

All I know is that historically speaking, some of the greatest fighting forces in the world.... had open(and even encouraged in some places) homosexuality.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 7:39 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• The only thing I see changing is military members don't have to hide a big piece of their identity. It shouldn't affect anything else. However, I'm sure there will be jerks who MAKE it a problem by harassing those who come out. THEY need some restrictions.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 7:46 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I don't see how anything will change, other than people no longer being forced to keep their private lives a secret... I for one am THRILLED by this decision.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:38 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Gays are people too!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:40 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Ashley...
    I've always laughed at that response. It' implies that gay men and women have no self control and just want to sex up every straight person they see.
    terpmama

Answer by terpmama at 7:55 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Homosexuals and heterosexuals in the military whether "DADT" exist or not: shower together, sleep in the same barracks/dorms together, goes on manuevers together, works out together..... and so on and so on and so on.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 8:00 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I think eventually most will shrug and move on, but some will be concerned still about having to care for a fellow soldier who's been injured if they are gay, among other silly things.

Yeah because in the middle of a firefight when someone goes down the first thing that goes through a medic's mind is something as superficial as that! C'mon now!
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 8:34 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Who cares if they're gay. Nobody should, they're keeping you safe.

I think Don't Ask, Don't Tell is a wonderful thing. Anybody who has issues that a GAY person maybe serving their country, needs to get out.
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 7:38 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Gay straight, blue, green, purple, I don't care... The one thing I do worry about are the ones that will get ridiculed for it, and then something bad happens..... There are bullies in every part of our world, no matter how old you are, so it would have to be a hard decision for gays and lesbians that want to join...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 7:39 PM on Oct. 19, 2010