Is anyone more scared of the idea of vbac after reading all the crunchy stuff? sorry long

Honestly I'm only considering one because DH and I want a large family(around five I know you can have that many c-sections but it's not recommened). I am possibly one of the least crunchy people ever. I enjoyed my epidural it let me sleep,I'm not interested in a doula,I don't care about breastfeeding effects i'm probly not even going to try this time, my birth was fine the only thing I'd change is not having my arms tied down. I come from a medical back round I find the idea of vaginal at all cost a little distressing. The more of these things I read the more these people scare me.
Can someone please reassure me that this is just a few qwerky people and not the whole community?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 7:41 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• crunchy stuff? I'm not sure I follow...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:44 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• idk....when i did my research on vbacs it all said the same thing....less than 1% chance of uterine rupture. you can still get an epidural, no issue there. the only thing is you cannot get induced because that will dramatically increase the chance of rupture (since the contractions are much more powerful than natural contractions). if you want to try for a vbac, make sure your ob will do it. not all of them do.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:44 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• My sister had a vbac and has frequently said that out of the two, she preferred the vaginal delivery.
    She is not one of those people who insists on doing things naturally, she was unable to breast feed, and didn't have any issues with the c-section either.
    She tried it because she wanted to experience it.
    She said it was actually the better way to go, in her opinion.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:45 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Haha, I'm considering a VBAC after my c-section with my son, and I can assure you I'm the least crunchy person you'll ever meet. I don't want a doula either, and I have every intention of still giving birth in a hospital. The reason I want to do it is because lying flat on your back is really the worst possible position to be in when it comes to giving birth, and because I was bored out of my mind for the 20-something hours I was in labor, since I couldn't walk or move around because of the epidural. I'm definitely not opposed to pain medication, I just want to be able to move!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:46 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I don't see health & safety as a "crunchy issue" AT ALL.

*My* priorities lie in what is best (which is generally safest-healthiest) for me / my children.

So a VBAC is a priority.
    ( *As is breastfeeding or anything else that is better for them / me. )

Rather than throwing a label on anything, consider priorities. Evaluate what is important to you and why. Go from there & don't worry about silly terms.

If you have fears then research them.
    Really understand what is worrying you.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:55 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• That's cute-crunchy. I know exactly what you mean! :-) I always imagine sandals and long skirts and long,curly hair too. :-)

I would do the research and have a serious talk with your Doctor. Then you will ready to try it .My daughter tried a VBac. Her Doctor was all for it. But it didn't work and she needed a C-section after all. But she really wanted to try and her Doctor was 100% in favor.
    Good luck!
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:11 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• (*If you meant me, I am definitely not offended by the term "crunch," I don't care at all.)

I do care about helping ANY "kind" of women to feel better about choosing safety first.
    IF a VBAC is safer then I would help you to find the support and encouragement you'd need to make this a happier decision.
    Really, cesareans are not safer for most situations. Only rarely do women truly require a surgical birth.

You can do what ever you want, of course!
    ;-)
    I can offer sites, books, articles, etc to help you with this, IF you want to continue with research...

Have you been to ICAN meetings? Or a doula (yes, lol!) that can help you with this?
    I think that you (should) discover that women who prefer health & safety don't just wear Birkenstock sandals, lol. We look like soccer moms, Halle Berry, attorneys, and whatever.
    ;-)

doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:22 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Oh, and they induced my sister--her water broke and her labor stopped. They actually had to induce her twice.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:46 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Seriously. lol. what is crunchy people?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:47 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• But_Mommie, she's referring to people who want everything as natural as possible... Home birth, doula, no pain meds, baby wearing, extended breast feeding, etch.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:49 PM on Oct. 19, 2010