Cold Turkey

Any Ideas on how to quit smoking cold turkey?
About maybe how long it will take?

ANYTHING will help....I wanna quit!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:53 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Health

• i did it cold turkey one year and one month as of yesterday , how i managed was something my doctor laughed at because he said it was one of the healthiest he's seen ..... i munched on vanilla wafers LOL a box every few days, I'd get a craving then I'd eat about 7 waffers. the DR said it was safer then most he's seen , that's including the pills he prescribes to some. it took me one full day to stop , three full days for the cravings to slow, BUT i so still crave a hit or two until i SMELL someone who had just finished one ( my husband) then i realize EEW and loose the craving. GOOD LUCK I'LL BE ROOTIN FOR YA. if you need someone to chat with PM me anytime ;-)

pinkrayn

Answer by pinkrayn at 7:59 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I think if you really want to do it for yourself then it will be fine. It's going to be hard, people I've known have still had occasional 'bad days' up to a year later, but it's entirely possible. If you've been severely addicted I would recommend using the gum or patches, but as long as you're motivated I'm sure you'll manage. Good luck!
    losing_control

Answer by losing_control at 7:55 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• It's hard... You need to be especially aware of those times when you're used to have a smoke (after meals, before going to bed, etc), and try to find something else to do. For some people, it helps to suck on lollipops whenever the cravings hit, to have something to focus their oral fixation on. Personally, those nicotine patches worked for me. I still had to work on changing my habits, but at least the cravings weren't too bad.... Good luck, and don't be too hard on yourself if you don't succeed right away. Most smokers take several tries before they succeed.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:57 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• For me - I started by cutting out the "habit" cigarettes as much as possible - getting in the car on the way home from work, after a meal, last one before bed. When I found myself wanting a cigarette rather than trying to talk myself out of it I would just move on to something else (the idea being that if you are concentrating on NOT having a cigarette, you are putting as much energy into the cigarette as smoking it). if i really couldn't get it out of my head, i'd just go have one - but i would try to only smoke half or a couple hits. I did this for a couple weeks, then i just stopped and dealt with it... i was very fed up with having cigarettes control my life - having to look for deals, interrupting movies to go out and smoke, etc. i warned everyone too that i might be crabby. it gets easier quickly.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 8:09 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I did it cold turkey and I don't think the craving or desire ever really goes away. Good Luck, you can do it!
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:02 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• My first tip is to plan it out. Give yourself enough time to see it coming. Don't just say on Monday "I'm quitting on Sunday." Make it something like "I'm quitting on Christmas day." or "I am quitting the day after Thanksgiving." For us we said we were quitting the moment we stepped off the airplane from our honeymoon. It worked pretty well. We knew it was coming and had time to mentally prepare for the event.

Also, don't tell yourself you can never smoke again, tell yourself "I'm just not smoking right now." It is easier to abstain when you are not creating a taboo for yourself. It doesn't mean you should smoke down the road, just don't tell yourself that it's forever. I used to occasionally give myself "permission" to smoke one cigarette, once I'd given myself the freedom I'd CHOOSE not to. It seemed easier when I knew it was my choice.

Get a quitting buddy and replace the stress relief with exercise.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:08 PM on Oct. 19, 2010