What does religion have to do with the Election?

Church and State are supposed to be separate in the US right?

sienna40

Asked by sienna40 at 5:48 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• For the Government... yes.
    The government is not supposed to favor one religion over the other.
    We, the people, can mix them as much as we want or don't want. For many people, the two are very mixed indeed.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:55 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• So you are saying that we should use Religious similarity as a reason to vote for someone who will represent ALL Americans in the US? I don't mind if my president is of a different religion as long as his policies don't affect me practicing my religion freely (without harming anyone)
    sienna40

Answer by sienna40 at 6:05 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• When I vote, my faith and relationship with God is very much involved. That's my right and won't ever stop using it.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 6:15 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• It has absolutely nothing to do with politics. Though a lot of people think it does.
    Anonymous

• Our nation was founded as one nation under God. But it was respectful of the fact that not everyone believed the same as you. I think it is interesting that we have God in everything we do but want to keep him out of government.
    Anonymous

• Should we mix religion into our decisions? I don't think so. I think it's a very bad idea to say things like "well God says such and such is wrong so we need a law about it."

I'm just saying that we have a right to do so if we want to.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:37 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I'm a immigrant .I live my life by USA CONSTITUTION ,NOT BUY MY FAITH.
    Anonymous

• I vote in some ways based on my faith. I vote for who is going to best represent me and lead the country where I want it to go and in my best interest, and who is going to leave the country in the best position for my son and his children (yes I'm selfish, but I'm the people). I'm a single mother and a Christian, both being very important to me; so that is how I vote. I don't put gay rights above the economy becasue I'm a christian but my religion does play a part in how I vote.
    ayindemommy

Answer by ayindemommy at 7:15 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I respect all of your answers. I think that religion shouldn't be apart of the election process. I think that the candidates shouldn't have to defend their religion. I think that gay rights and abortion shouldn't run this election because of the simple fact that it's not my place to judge those things. I'm pro-choice because God is pro-choice (pro-free will). God is also pro-consequences. I think those things will play out according to God's will and we don't facilitate that, no matter how much we think we do. I think that we as humans have no right to speak for God and so many do.
    sienna40

Answer by sienna40 at 7:23 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• That doesn't mean it's seperate in the human mind and heart.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 7:32 PM on Oct. 28, 2008