Could someone share their success or failure with the use of weighted vests/blankets for autistic kids?

My five year old daughter has autism. We are considering the use of a weighted blanket or vest to her high activity level. Any advice would be appreciated.

Nebraskaoma

Asked by Nebraskaoma at 8:08 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My 13 yo son used to wear a weighted vest at school during "circle time" and it helped him stay calm. He now has a weighted blanket at home, simply because he likes the way it feels. I don't know that it affects his activity level, it just feels good to him.

Answer by missanc at 8:18 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• While I don't have an autstic kiddo, I do have a little one with low tone. He was just fitted with a SPIO vest to help correct his posture and reinforce his trunk. I was shocked how docile he was with it on. It was quite a suprising thing. I mentioned it to our OT and she said lots of her autstic kids and ADHD kids are in the SPIO vests or SPIO top/bottoms set with equally amazing results. Our insurance a portion of his vest for his low tone. He wears from the moment he gets up until I put his PJs on for bed. I rinse it out on the bathroom sink if it got dirty during the day, and let it air dry over the shower rod. Its always dry by morning.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 8:52 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• My ds is not ASD, but I'm the HR Director for a private special ed school in CT. Our students are by referral only & come from 18 local school districts because they are extremely complex or have a dual/multi diagnosis. I am not an expert by any means but I have learned so much about autism from our amazing teachers & staff. One thing I have learned is that ASD students have a difficult time "feeling" their bodies in their environment which can lead to anxiety & undesirable behaviors & often when provided weighted blankets or vests they tend to feel more at peace & comforted.
    Btw.. our school NEVER uses restraints or negative consequences of any kind. We are all about positive reinforcements & adapting the environment to conform to the student.. NEVER the other way around. We encourage but never force participation in socially appropriate behaviors & activities. Not sure why I brought that up?? But... Good luck!!!
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 9:09 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• My dd is very mild...I noticed very early on that she does like pressure on her as shes sleeps...I usually just lay my arm over her chest area and it calms her and relaxes her.

I would like to try a vest..but they are so expensive...I would hate to buy one and it not do anything for her....like I said she is very borderline aspergers.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:39 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• We went thru an orthotics business and they gave us 30 days to return it if it didn't work
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 10:18 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I have seen them for sale on ebay and craigslist - I got mine for free from another parent who's child has "outgrown" the weight the blanket was designed for.

Answer by missanc at 4:50 PM on Oct. 20, 2010