Advice for 16 month old's 1st airplane trip

My son will be taking is first plane right shortly after he turns 16 months old (next month). I am very nervous about how he will do, especially since I will be by myself with him (hubby is deployed overseas). Does anyone have any advice, suggestions, facts, etc that will help me? he does not like to sit still in my lap for long. He likes to get down and walk around and explore everything around him. PS - he will not be in his car seat, he will sit in my lap for the flight. We will have a connecting flight so total travel time will be broken up. Thanks for any advice!

jcrmommy09

Asked by jcrmommy09 at 8:30 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 2 (-1 Credits)
  • Every time I've taken my dd on a plane, our filght wasn't full so I had an open seat next to mek, which was nice, most airlines will leave open seats next to the people with alp children if the flights aren't full. Brig some books to help entertain him, and try to get him to drink something as you take off so that his ears pop otherwise it'll will bother him and make him cranky
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 8:36 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I forgot to add, try to get a window seat, it'll will help entertain him to look out the window, and he'll be less likely to try and get away from you , and run down the isle
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 8:38 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Yes I plan on bringing books, paper, crayons, his drink cup, his favorite snacks, etc all to keep him busy and I will give him something to snack on as we're taking off so his mouth is moving to make his ears pop so they don't hurt. I just don't want to be THAT parent with THE child who is crying to being annoying the whole flight. :/
    jcrmommy09

Comment by jcrmommy09 (original poster) at 8:40 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Don't worry I'm sure he'll be alright , the way I figure it, the kids that cry and act terrible the whole airplane ride are the ones that cry and act terrible all the time, you just don't see them in public much because you're not stuck in a small space with them
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 8:51 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Depending on what time the flight is... ware him out as much as possible so he'll be asleep during the flight. also, give him something to suck on! It kills there ears. My little girl did awesome as long as she had something to drink when taking off and landing. i also brought a few books and coloring crayons.
    lilma0608

Answer by lilma0608 at 11:50 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Take twice as many snacks as you think you might need. My DIL always packs a lot. She got very delayed once and used it all. Good luck!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:27 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Toys and favorite activities for boredom; a portable DVD player if he is a TV watcher, food for the ear problem, and if it's a particularly long flight, or if the ears are especially sensitive, don't rule out Dramamine or Benadryl for a nice nap.
    mommyx9

Answer by mommyx9 at 9:24 AM on Oct. 20, 2010