Dog breath???

Ugh!!
I've had dogs all my life but until I got my chihuahuas almost 5 years ago I always had big dogs.
Is it just my girls or do small dogs have nastier breath than big dogs??

FeelinYummy

Asked by FeelinYummy at 8:48 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Pets

• I have been working as a Vet Tech for almost 7 years now and specialize in animal dentals. Little dogs are know for dental disease. If you have the money to have your dogs teeth cleaned it can save you tons of money in the future!! I know in bigger cities that vet care costs are outrageous. I live in a small town and a routine dog dental is around $100. If you can afford it I would say DO IT. Simple upkeep on your dogs teeth can save you alot in the future. Say you DONT do it and you end up with an abcessed tooth a few years down the road, that $100 dental or even $200 if you do it 2 years in a row just turned into a $400-$500 dental /tooth extractions beacuse of an infection that was almost 100% preventable. Check into it and maybe call a few vet clinics around you. If you find the prices are outrageous then try a smaller town near you, you can probably find it alot cheeper. gl
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 12:16 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• All small dogs that have come across have some kickin breath.My sister dog got gum disease. It is sad to see them suffer like that.
    bucky77

Answer by bucky77 at 5:22 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Smaller dogs tend to have worse teeth which can cause bad breath. But it really just comes down to genetics
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:53 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Do you feed canned food ? That could do it !!!! Cats or dogs, I only feed dry food - better digestion, less poop, and less smell.
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 12:07 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I feed Royal Canin Chihuahua #28 Formula
    No canned food since the dog food scare a couple of years ago.. that's when I started to make our own dog food.
    Once a month I make a couple of pounds of lean ground turkey, with brown rice and steamed green beans with chicken or beef stock and I use a bunch of tiny little "tupperware" containers to freeze it in. I get home from work and toss one in the microwave and I use this to give them their liquid vitamins while at the same time making them think this is their daily treat or "puppy cookies" as we call it in our house! :)
    FeelinYummy

Comment by FeelinYummy (original poster) at 12:18 AM on Oct. 22, 2010