Natural gas in my new house

Soo I finally found a house (to rent). And I thought only the stove was gas, however I just found out the entire heating system is gas, but the house has electric AC (central air),......is gas expensive for you? and how do you keep the cost down...oh and is the hot water heater work on electric or gas...or does that differ by situation?!? Ive never had a house with gas before so I have NOOO clue what im in for!!!And I cant ask my landlord, they havent lived in the house its just an investment property for them!

sweetstkissez22

Asked by sweetstkissez22 at 8:53 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Home & Garden

• How much it's going to cost to heat your house depends on where you live. I live in a warm climate so my gas bills (furnace, dryer, hot water heater, and stove) is about $30 in the summer and around $100 in the winter. Much less than my electric bill. BTW you should be able to ask the gas company what the average bill was for the last people. I have gotten that information from them before.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:59 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Gas is usually more expensive in the winter and cheaper in the winter. Get a humidifier as it will keep the heat better since dry air takes more time to 'feel' warm. Hot water heaters can run off of gas or electric. If it's gas, there will be a 1 inch diameter pipe attached to it along with the 2 lines for water. The bonus to gas is if the electric ever goes out, you can still heat the home a little by turning on the oven. I like gas ranges better than electric. I also have a gas furnace and I've never had any problems with any of it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:57 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• request a print out of the previous years bill- the commission of public works will tell you how expensive it was last year.
    gas water heaters are sooo much better than electric, but heat is expensive. I would invest in a couple of ceramic heaters.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:57 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• *cheaper in the summer*
    Jademom07

• We have gas everything- heat, stove/oven, water, clothes dryer- and I love it! Here, it is a lot less expensive for gas than electric. Our electric comes from a co-op and the rates are ridiculous. If it keep going up the way that it has been the past several years, we're going to have to figure out something else for electric, like solar. And the power goes out often here, especially in the winter, so it's almost a must to have gas so you can still cook and have hot water.

I agree that you should be able to ask the gas company what the average bill is, we did before we bought our house.
    Anonymous

• I have gas heat, and I love it (I think it's a warmer heat than electric). We live in NE Ohio, in an 1880's, 3,000 sq ft home and our gas bill is $500 a month in December and January. In the summer, we pay maybe $30 when just the stove and water heater are running. You can call the gas company, and find out what the "budget amount" is for the property.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:44 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• oooo didnt think about asking for previous bills...you guys are soo smart :)!!!! Im super scared ill get a crazy bill...my electric bill in my apartment hasnt been over 130 here!!!! And i dont have to pay for water, moving ill have gas, water, and electric!!! AHHHH
    sweetstkissez22

Comment by sweetstkissez22 (original poster) at 9:06 PM on Oct. 19, 2010