can hubs leave the state?

my husband was sentenced to weekend end jail for driving uninsured (it seems really harsh to me, it was a first offense but whatever, not getting into that now). he was going to take a day off of work during the week (he has paid leave and asked to serve his sentence all at once bc i work on weekends but the judge said no) so we could go to virginia to see family that we had planned to see on the weekend. is he allowed to leave the state? we'd be going on wednesday so there would be plenty of time for him to get back, he doesn't need to report to the facility until 6pm on friday and we live in maryland. anyone know? we've been trying to get ahold of someone at the jail but no one knows and his public defender was basically useless.

erinwhitt

Asked by erinwhitt at 9:12 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Most of the time, since he is on court ordered jail, they cannot leave the state without court permission. If he does, they can charge him with running.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:13 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I agree with Jademom07. You need to contact the state before leaving. Since he is facing criminal charges, he could be considered fleeing charges if he leaves the state.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 9:16 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• in oklahoma, as long as you show up when your supposed to on the weekend you can go where ever you want during the week. i know a few people doing weekends and they go to texas all the time
    ashleywilkerson

Answer by ashleywilkerson at 9:17 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• i'm sure they'd try to do it, too. i just don't understand how you can put someone in jail for driving uninsured. it seems like a waste of tax money to me! he was pulled over in april for a busted tail light and nothing came up about being uninsured but when he was pulled over in july they claimed the insurance had lapsed in february. we had the work order and everything with absolutely no mention of insurance and he STILL got jail time, even though we took care of it all right away. i honestly have no idea what that public defender did but i'm furious. we had to cancel our vow renewal for it. my husband works full time and has never been in any trouble. i don't know what crawled up that judge's ass when it was mike's turn, either, because he gave a guy on his SECOND DUI 600 hours community service. STUPID.
    erinwhitt

Comment by erinwhitt (original poster) at 9:17 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Call the courthouse & ask or maybe the judge's office who handled his case?
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:18 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• and i agree thats alittle harsh for first offense. here its just a ticket as long as you show up with insurance at your court date. but even if you dont its just a bigger fine no jail till second offense
    ashleywilkerson

Answer by ashleywilkerson at 9:19 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• they weren't criminal-they were traffic violations. do they become criminal when he gets his sentence? that public defender didn't make anything clear. he didn't meet with us or anything. just took the work order and then never mentioned a thing to the judge. we filed a complaint and have sent letters to the judges, but in the mean time, i'm missing work bc my husband is my only mode of transportation and we can't afford childcare. our insurance lapsed because we couldn't afford it. we had informed the insurance company that we would be paying late and they said it was fine. they continued to take our money, but canceled his policy. we're also taking action against them. you'd think it'd be understandable in this economy. as soon as my husband had another job, everything was taken care of. but if i can't work, then we REALLY can't afford our bills. its a vicious cycle but what does that judge care?
    erinwhitt

Comment by erinwhitt (original poster) at 9:20 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• i say even if its a second offense, jail time is a waste for driving uninsured. make them do house arrest or something. but i just don't see how my taxes need to go to someone who isn't violent-just irresponsible.
    erinwhitt

Comment by erinwhitt (original poster) at 9:22 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Jail time for driving uninsured? That's a bit harsh. Since he's basically got a traffic violation and nothing major, I'd call to see. Usually if there is probation involved you can't leave the state but I'm not sure how it works in every county/state.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 9:27 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• i could get past the jail time if that guy with his second dui and no job hadn't only been given community service. exactly what kind of justice is this?
    erinwhitt

Comment by erinwhitt (original poster) at 9:44 PM on Oct. 19, 2010