Why do you believe what you do?

Do you believe in god or something else was it something you were told to believe as a child or is it something you developed as you became an adult. Have your beliefs changed as you got older?

Asked by abellvalerie at 2:50 AM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, I was raised catholic, but never felt entirely connected with the beliefs and what I was being taught. It wasn't until the last year or so that I started looking elsewhere to fit in. At first I leaned towards atheist, then agnostic. NOw I am pretty happy with wiccna/pagan..... I jsut have to find my spot there. But that sure makes a lot more sense to me than being a christian, and most of the christian beliefs.

Answer by hstansbury17 at 3:06 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I was raised around the GOD/JESUS faiths. I never connected with it. I have always felt connected to the Earth, and everything on it. There is life in nature. I can see and feel it. When something bad happens in my life, I know it is because of MY actions, or lack, thereof. There is great meaning in my life.
    Everything in my beliefs are easily explained for me. No contradictions, no lies. I love it!

Answer by NightPhoenix at 3:18 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I was raised with a blend of Hinduism & new age (there is a God, believe what you want and be a good person and you'll be fine). It never really felt right to me, even as a young child. There was no consistency. When I was about 10 I went to a summer camp that happened to be a Christian camp as well. What they taught about Jesus just made sense to me. It clicked. It answered all the questions my little mind had. The more I have studied the Bible, prayed and sought out opportunities to learn about the Lord, the more solid my faith has become. I can feel God around me, I can see his truth in nature and all of creation. I just....know. I hope you find what you are looking for =)

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• At a young age I started questioning religion. It never made sense to me that this could be the only way if everyone all over the world could believe whatever they want and have different religions and completely different beliefs. The question started to form... "how can everyone be right, and how do we know who's wrong?" I came to the conclusion eventually that no one is right. No one can possible know the things they claim to know about their religion. I feel similarly to NightPhoenix about life in nature. I believe in a power greater than myself but don't feel the need to name that power or identify it. I don't feel the need to have answers, actually. I believe you get what you give in life. I believe in karma. I believe that the universe gives you what you've got coming to you and that it might be directly related to your own actions. So I strive to be good to others and to the Earth and I believe that if we all did that, a lot of people would be a lot happier and less confused.

Answer by Dashielsmom at 10:38 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I was raised to believe in god, and I don't. It isn't just that I don't, I CAN'T believe, I haven't ever been able to.

Answer by abby_dylan at 12:06 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I was raised by Catholics, Southern Babtists, and Atheist. My parents incouranged me to look into all relgions to find which one was best for me. Over the last 10 or 15 years I have researched nearly 100 religions and beliefs systems. I always found myself somewhere between Paganistic beliefs and Atheism. It wasn't until the last couple years that I came across my true religion "Spiritual Atheism"

Spiritual Atheists do not believe in the existence of an entity external to the universe that created and rules the universe.

Spiritual Atheists believe that the entire Universe is, in some way, connected; even if only by the mysterious flow of cause and effect at every scale. Therefore, Spiritual Atheists generally feel that as they go about their lives striving to be personally healthy and happy, they should also be striving to help the world around them be healthy and happy! ("Wholistic Ethics")

Answer by Motherdragon at 1:35 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I was raised in a christian home all my life. I never doubted God, or the fact if there is a God, I always knew he was, and exsisted. I am a true believer of the Bible and everything in it is a living word of God. I have recieved the Holy Ghost, not forced by being taught how to speak in another language, but the Power of God was so strong, I just started to speak in tongues. I know God is real, and I believe the way I do because I've experienced his power! It isn't a hoax, but it is real and anyone can have the Holy Ghost. There is 1 God, his name is Jesus. I will live the rest of my life praising Him and worshiping Him for saving me when he died on the cross.

Answer by Robyn1975 at 3:27 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Don't laugh at me but I believe in Karma. I believe that most of our problems in life are due to our own ignorance. I also believe in reincarnation. I was raised however, in an assemblies of god church. I think that you just have to find what answers your questions. Good luck!

Answer by firstimemom4049 at 7:41 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I was raised in ahome to explore all religions. In a sense yes as I got older my views changed. I now know that what I beleive in is true for me. I know this by how I feel during times of meditation and communication with my god and goddess. When someone is on the right path, they can't help but know by how you feel when connecting with your higher being. I don't know how to answer your question of why but in that sense.

Answer by SensualScents at 10:41 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• As a kiddo I had no real religious beliefs, and after my grandma (a hardcore catholic) passed, I outright hated G-d. But things changed as I got older, and over several coincidences, reading alot and studying with a Chabad rabbi that is what shaped my beliefs that I have today.

Answer by aridattebayo at 1:38 AM on Jul. 4, 2008