Obesity costs the US $168 Billion... is it really that surprising?

http://www.usatoday.com/yourlife/fitness/2010-10-18-obesity-costs_N.htm

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 9:21 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• People eat too much and rely too heavily on fast and processed food. Simply a matter of excess calories. The cost will rise too and with a third of children now in infancy likely to develop diabetes if present trends continue, the cost of treating early onset degenerative diseases will skyrocket. Americans are digging their graves with their teeth.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 2:59 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Wow, actually yes... it did shock me. Not that obesity is causing so many health problems and such... but I didn't realize HOW MUCH it costs the average overweight American!

Personally I am overweight by a good 60 pounds and I am back on the weight loss bandwagon. I'm scared to go to the doctor when something is wrong with me because I don't want them thinking how disgusting I am being so overweight as well as I don't want to be told all that's wrong with me is I'm fat. :(
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:24 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I am currently 50 pounds overweight and at one time 490 I went to the doctor three times a year once for a pap and twice for a sinus infection I quit smoking and now its twice a year. I am losing weight and when I read articles like this I want to say its not always true.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:28 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 9:21 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• scary
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:57 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• That IS shocking. I see so many more obese people now than I did years ago. For instance, our 50 year class reunion was in September and I could count on one hand the number of obese classmates --even after that length of time and we had almost 200 people attend the reunion. I'm, talking slim ladies and gents! Whatever they have done in the past they are still doing and staying slim.
    But that IS a huge amount. $168 billion! I wonder if they break it down into categories, reasons for the expenses,etc.? I am going to read that link.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:44 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• It doesn't really surprise me. Should it, lol?
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:53 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I think the current obesity problem stems from easily prepared fast food with a somewhat higher calorie content and with ready availability coupled with the lack of exercise in public schools since required physical ed has been largely eliminated in grade and high schools. Include the myriad of options for entertainment on the internet and XBOX games as well as cable TV , all sedentary activities,and you have the recipe for disastrous weight gain.

My generation had television but restaurants were the sit-down, have a balanced meal kind. We had mandatory one hour per school day of physical ed. We spent time on the telephone but our social plans necessitated getting together requiring movement and activities once we gathered. We had physical after school jobs and chores. Alcohol was prevalent but drugs were not.

Solution is less fast food, more activity and less solitary pursuits such as the internet and cable TV.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 11:44 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Lack of Personal Responsibility
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:06 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Not too surprised.I also see a ton more overweight folks when out and about now than ever before and not just by a few lbs.I agree with anna and grly.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:13 AM on Oct. 20, 2010