My Dr said I shouldnt Breast feed what would u do??

since i am on celxa and ablify... the phsyic.. said that there is a undetermained about of meds in my breast milk and that i should just use formula... i said well what if i stop taking the meds b4 i deliver?? then i am at risk of being depressed again.... i really want to breast feed i didnt get to much with my first... idk what to do.. help!

navywifemomkoch

Asked by navywifemomkoch at 6:15 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Whether or not a drug crosses the placenta and whether or not it makes it into your breastmilk are two seperate issues. So, do I understand correctly that your psychiatrist told you not to breastfeed? What does your OB say? Or, better yet, a certified lactation specialist? I don't know enough about either of those drugs to give you any more feedback than that. Sorry.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 6:35 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Are there any medication options you can take for your depression that are approved for breast feeding Moms? How come you can take them while pregnant and not when breast feeding? That doesn't make sense to me.. if it was a problem, wouldn't it be just as much of a problem while pregnant? (Just trying to understand your doctors logic)
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 6:17 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Try to see a naturalist doctor about some natural options. Like Serafyna, I am wondering why it is ok for you to take them while pregnant, but not bf'ing. Seems like it would be the same?
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 6:27 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• its not that its not safe its just the doc says that there is an undetermined amount of meds in breast milk is all
    its deluted by the time it gets to the fetus and i guess breast milk is more direct??? idk
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 6:32 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• put ur child 1st like always. so for the babys safety use formula. If ur on meds for depression whos to say you wont get depressed again. plus it might put u in postpartum depression . and i know u say oh well i wont hurt my baby.. but u might a lot of woman say that. its not good to be depressed when u have a new baby keep on ur meds for the baby!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous