How do I start toilet training at night. My three year old has been day trained for about a year but I don't know hoe to start night time training

Should I use pull ups or do I use training underware. I don't want to frustrate her or us with the process.

Grams1012

Asked by Grams1012 at 6:17 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• hoe? do u mean how? lol
    i'm having the same problem with my 3 yr old, but its best to use pullups unless u dont mind moping everytime he pisses on the floor.
    Anonymous

• I'd say make them pee right before bed. No drinks before bed either, and as soon as they wake up take them to the bathroom. You'll have to clean pee sheets occasionally, but really this is the only way. Pull ups only delay the potty training.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 6:19 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Either one will work but make sure you have a waterproof mattress cover on the bed. If you go with underwear, double make the bed: waterproof cover, bottom sheet, waterproof cover, bottom sheet. Then if she wets in the night and you only have to strip off the wet layer instead of remaking the bed.
    Also, keep in mind that 25% of all 5-year-old still wet the bed. People just don't talk about it like they do potty training. It is not considered to be a medical problem until 7 or 8 years old.
    And never punish. Would you yell at your husband and punish him for talking in his sleep or for sleep walking? Of course not. You know and understand that he is ASLEEP. Children who wet the bed are sleeping too. It's not like they wake up and decide to squat down right in the middle of the bed and pee.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:31 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Hello! I am in the same situation right now as well. My daughter has been doing good though with getting up at least once throughout the night. I use pull-ups and have also used the plastic pants that they sell at Wal-mart and put them over cloth panties. I also put a night light in the bathroom at night so that she is not afraid to go into the room. Good luck!
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 11:26 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• As part of his potty training, I had my son go to the potty right before bed. Then I waited until he was having a few dry pullups a week in the morning. Then we asked him if he wanted to try sleeping in his regular underwear. We cut down on drinks at night and he does ok. Usually we only deal with one or two accidents a week, but usually on a night that he's overtired or had too much to drink.
    Purpleivy

Answer by Purpleivy at 11:38 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Have you tried restricting liquids 2 hours before bed? I'm a softie and don't want my 4 yr old to go to bed thirsty so i give him manderin oranges before bed so he won't have a real need for drinking at night...He usually wakes up dry.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:50 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• There's no difference between pull ups and diapers. They're just designed to look like big kid undies to please the consumer.

Let the child go to bed in undies. If/when the bed is wet, take your time changing the bed. Change the bed before the child. No one likes cold wet undies and it might make a lasting impression. Tell your daughter how sad it makes Mommy that she isn't a big girl yet. Don't get angry.

We trained our guys in three days or less, both day and night trained, using this method. Our two oldest are potty trained and trained between two and three years old. Still got two to train. :) (Ages 21m and 5m so I've got time yet.)

Good luck!
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 9:50 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Oh please, please do NOT shame your child with the "I'm so sad you aren't a big girl yet" suggestion! This is cruel! The child was ASLEEP for goodness sake. This is like telling a child he is a baby because he had a nightmare that scared him so much he called out to you for comfort. Sure, let him stand there in wet underwear while you remake the bed. But many, many children do not magically outgrow bedwetting in a few nights. Many, many children sleep too soundly to even realize they wet the bed at all. Many, many children's bodies do not slow down urine production at night like it's supposed to. Many, many children simply can not control their bladder during their sleep. Bedwetting causes enough shame and embarrassment on it's own without mom and dad heaping more ridicule on top of the child. Compassion, not shame.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:20 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I know with my son, I had to put him in pullups, but I also left his closet light and the bathroom light on all night for him. His problem was that he was to scared of the dark to get up and go..Maybe try that..Hopefully it will work....
    ashdenney

Answer by ashdenney at 2:32 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• wake her up in the night for a while and take her to the bathroom. Also sugary things before bed can make them wet more!! Good luck I have a son who is fully potty trained but still poops in a diaper.......don't know!!
    shanny35

Answer by shanny35 at 6:22 PM on Oct. 29, 2008