How do I wean nap and nighttime bottles?

My son is 20 months old. He was breastfeed until 18 months, when I had to stop cold turkey. Because I was covered in hives over 95% of my body, I couldn't even hold him, so we gave him bottles and Daddy took over feedings. Now 2 months later, he takes bottles for nap time and bed time. I have tried to stop, but he cries and asks for his "botta." Aside from killing me, it is really difficult to tough it out at 2 am and being 17 weeks pregnant. We did successfully go from 2-3 bottles from bedtime to morning bottle to one for the entire night.
How to I get rid of the rest of them? Without losing my entire nights sleep for days and days?

reflect1light

Asked by reflect1light at 6:18 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• after taking my son off the bottle cold turkey i would give him a sippy cup before i rocked him to sleep. But i never laid him down to sleep with it. I give him a bath every night before bed and that helps distract him from wanting his sippy cup. Now I just rock him till he's almost asleep (for bonding time since i'm a single mom with a full time job) lay him in his bed and let him put himself to sleep the rest of the way. congrats on going down to just one bottle so quickly! You might want to try just giving water so he will only drink it if he's thirsty, not just for the flavor of juice or milk. (a lesson i just learned) Sometimes they will wake up at nightbecause they have to potty so often, another thing that might help is to slowly reduce the amount of liquid he gets at night. Good luck :)
    aidengrant07

Answer by aidengrant07 at 11:42 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• try switching it out with a sippy cup. they have ones that have more of a "bottle feel" without being a bottle. it will still be hard, theres no easy way of doing it. but your best bet is to get a really cool sippy that he can pick out. for example, if he has a favorite cartoon character try and get one that has that on it. that may encourage him to want to use it. also maybe try getting him to sleep a half hour before you normally do. if he gets super tired hes going to be less likely to be cooperative about switching. good luck!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 7:04 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I did the sippy cup thing too. I gave them juice in it at first(even though they say not to) then switched them to water. Now neither of my kids are on the sippys. Oh the Nuby sippys with the soft top are the ones that feel more like the bottle. Good luck with it!
    mommyof2EO

Answer by mommyof2EO at 10:17 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• oh one more thing to help distract him from wanting it before bed would be to read a book, like a long dr. suess such as one fish two fish...that one seems to take forever! LOL
    aidengrant07

Answer by aidengrant07 at 11:45 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I am trying to figure out the bottle thing as well - because I breastfed my other kidos - I breastfed this kid to but he self weaned at 18 months then got sick and was loosing weight, he couldn't/wouldn't chew food because he was cutting major teeth and we had to put him on a bottle with a weight gain drink in it.. Well then he got attatched to the bottle - now he only gets it at nap and bedtime (he is 24 months now) Last night was his first night to fall asleep with not bottle it was not intentional. We skipped nap today because of a strange schedule .... so we will see what happens at bedtime. But I don't understand what the difference in the sippie and the bottle is I mean switching containers isn't taking them off ... it is switching the container.
    magicmama6

Answer by magicmama6 at 9:59 PM on Oct. 29, 2008