Had enough

I am exhausted. My five month old wakes up every hour, sometimes 2 or 3 times an hour, all night long, and refuses to nap for more than 40 min. at a time during the day. I am pumping breastmilk because the nurses and LC's at the hospital screwed me over on that one... my husband doesn't recognize what my thrush infected nipples go through daily (and nightly) as he is rude and judgmental of me, telling me I have it made, and I have NO ONE to go on playdates with, because I live in a GHETTO and I have NO FRIENDS in this crap town. I LOVE my baby and have no regrets about him, I just wish someone could lend a hand once in a while. My husband has a huge family, and they all want to drop by unannounced to cuddle my son, but does anyone offer to babysit for an hour or bring a meal over? NOT ONCE. I am just falling apart here, and I want to be the best mom I can be for my son. I just don't know what to do anymore.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm so sorry! I know it doesn't seem like it, and it doesn't make it better now, but it will bet better! As far as what's going on - the next time one of them drops over to cuddle the baby, if it's someone you like and trust - say something like "Oh, I'm so glad you stopped by - I was just getting ready to run to the store / take a shower / clean the kitchen / ___ (whatever). It would be SUCH a help if you could just keep an eye on ___ for me for a few minutes! You know how it is with babies - it seems like you never get a minute to catch your breath or get anything done!" Or if it's someone you DON'T want to leave your baby with - say "Oh, I'm so sorry, but I was just on my way to the store / the shower / etc, and I really don't have time for company right now. I hate that you wasted your time coming this way and all, maybe next time if you give me a call first, we can work out our schedules so we can visit!"

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:57 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• It'll get better sweetie... you're just exhausted right now. Ask your husbands family for help. They probably don't even know what you're going thru and would be glad to help out. Find ways to relax and rejuvenate yourself and don't worry... friends have a way of showing up in life as you need them.
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 10:44 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Is the family over so often that all they ever do is hold the baby? If he is being held too much that could explain why he doesn't sleep anymore than he does. Maybe you aren't feeding him enough?? Try giving him a little more milk and see if it helps. Asking for help from your family and see if they could watch the baby every once in a while. Even if it's an hour, it would help. I hope things get better for you.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:01 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Ask these people for help. Do not wait for them to offer. I know when people do offer I say I am fine. and turn down their assistance.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:30 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I am so sorry...I dont have any friends where I live either and it sucks we also have NO family around here...one of the joys of the military...ugh....But just sit down and enjoy a nice hot bubble bath with a glass of wine....Thats what helped me through my crazy days....Hope things get a little better for you...
    Anonymous

• If your baby is waking up so much, it sounds like his belly isn't full enough. I nursed my baby all day, but I would give her a bottle of formula at night so she could sleep through the night. It worked like a charm. Definately take care of yourself and your infections (I know how painful it is). Try to control your stress because your baby can sense it. I have no one to babysit also, but I go to the store or wherever, alone, when I need to (husband stays with kids). Does your husband not give you a little time for yourself? If not, let him know it is important to you!
    HeatheranninSP

Answer by HeatheranninSP at 10:38 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Maybe you aren't getting enough nutrition to the baby with breast milk alone, maybe talk to yr pediatrician to see what options you have. I'm sorry yr struggling and hope things get better soon for you & yr baby.
    frnchvanilamoma

Answer by frnchvanilamoma at 10:41 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I am so sorry, hon. I know that must be terribly hard. Being a new mother is tough enough, even with help and sleep here and there. I would ask for help. There's nothing wrong with that. I'm sorry I don't have more advice, but I wish you the best of luck. Hang in there, mama. Here's a bump!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:44 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• wow im sorry
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 10:44 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I know the feeling of not having many of my own friends or family around to help. I have a 5 week old, & a 6 year old. Fortunately my hubby helps out a little with the kids, but he works too. I'm one that doesn't like to ask for help, but it sounds like you should ask your hubby's family for even an hour or two of help once in awhile. I'm not big on people showing up unannounced, I think it's kinda rude, knowing you have a little one & might be resting, when you can. Maybe have your hubby ask his family if they could help a little, if you don't feel comfortable doing so. Also, I'd ask them to call first, to see if you & or the baby might be napping or busy. You don't need more stress.hugs Good luck, & hang in there...I'm trying to!

nicksmom604

Answer by nicksmom604 at 10:48 PM on Oct. 19, 2010