How would you have responded?

I took my son to the park today and after he played for awhile I sat him down on the grass and gave him his lunch. This girl who was maybe three or four came over and when she saw the pumpkin cookies she asked if she could have one. I told her I would be happy to share as long as it was ok with her Mom. She looked around but I couldn't see anyone who seemed to be watching her. She went back to the playground but about 5 minutes later a lady appeared (I assume the Mom) and started to take her to the car to leave. Well, she starts to point in my direction and excitedly ask if she can have a cookie. The Mom comes up to me and starts to scream at me for talking to her daughter and "offering" her food. I was honestly to shocked to even say anything. What would you have done?

luvsmysonjames

Asked by luvsmysonjames at 10:37 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would have said, maybe if you were watching your child you would have seen she came and asked me... That just makes me angry atleast you were willing to share.
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 8:50 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Try to explain. If she would not let me. Just let it go.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:39 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• don't worry about it. i probably would of said listen i did not offer her food. she wanted to have one and i said go ask your mom. if you were watching your kid in the first place maybe she wouldn't be talking to strangers. and then i would of said excuse me and just got up and leave.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:47 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I probably would have asked her why she wasn't watching her child and why her child was talking to strangers. Or I would have ignored her and walked away.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:00 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I would have tried to explain, if she let you. Sounds to me she has problems. :)
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:02 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• What a moron. She's lucky that it was you and NOT someone trying to lure her daughter away with goodies. She obviously wasn't watching her.

If she were screaming at me and I had my children there, I would just ask her to go away.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 10:42 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• We don't take food from strangers. Period. I think yelling at you was a bad way to handle it, but she did and it's over. End of story. Tomorrow is a new day.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 10:42 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• i wouldnt have known what to say either....some ppl r just wacked out
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 10:44 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I don't let my son take food from strangers either. Its not like I offered it though.
    luvsmysonjames

Comment by luvsmysonjames (original poster) at 10:45 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I have noticed often times parents go to their cars and let their kids play. It's likely the mom thought you engaged conversation with her daughter and offered her a snack. She probably didn't think much of it until the kid came to her asking if she could... Who knows. I wouldn't be quick to assume that she was just flat out not paying attention to the kid, cause I go to the park daily and see parents DAILY sitting in their cars while kids play, but still looking head on.

My husband and I do choose to stay in the park with our daughter. Some Moms/Dads don't.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 10:56 PM on Oct. 19, 2010