I am freaking out just a bit...

So I sat down to repaint my toenails and noticed that my big toenail has a split in it that is a horizontal split. It is even lifting off the toenail bed...what on earth do I do to help this? How did this happen??

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 10:44 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Health

• did u stub it on something? or drop something on it?
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 10:45 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Your freaking out about a toenail?
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 10:45 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• EEK!!!! Sounds like you might need some nail strengthening polish... but for now try some superglue!!
    Do you press back your cuticles often, or did you drop something on your toe awhile back? I noticed when I press my cuticles back it causes ridges in my nails... but not a complete crack. I think one time my dad dropped something on his toe and it cracked and 1/2 of it came off as it grew out. It's icky but it will grow back.
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 10:48 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I don't know what I did..I work at a daycare so who knows and yes I am freaking out over a toenail..this has never happened to me before...I dont know if I need to soak it in something or what?!
    leann74016

Comment by leann74016 (original poster) at 10:48 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I would say, if it does not hurt, put some neosporin on the crack and wrap your toe in a bandaid until the toenail falls off. it will grow back. You probably stubbed it on something.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 10:52 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• You probably just stubbed it or dropped something on it. Put some Neosporion on it and a bandaid, the nail will fall off and grow back.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:54 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Yukky, I don't even know what to tell you. Keep an eye on it, keep it clean, and it will fall off eventually.
    donnareedonLSD

Answer by donnareedonLSD at 11:14 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• It might be dying from not being able to "breathe" under the nail polish. Let it heal before you repaint.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:27 AM on Oct. 20, 2010