My Dr said I shouldnt Breast feed what would u do?? answer ur ?'s

its not that its not safe its just the doc says that there is an undetermined amount of meds in breast milk is all

its deluted by the time it gets to the fetus and i guess breast milk is more direct??? idk

navywifemomkoch

Asked by navywifemomkoch at 6:33 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Zoloft is the "best drug choice so far". It has a low, low transfer rate to breastmilk (17-173 ug/liter) in mothers taking up to 150 mg/day. In one excellent study of 11 mother/infant pairs, the zoloft was undetectable in 7 of the 11 breastfeeding infants' serum and minimal in the other infants. In two other studies of one and three mother/infant pairs respectively, zoloft was undetectable in the plasma of all 4 infants. A theoretical concern with Zoloft is that some babies may not gain weight as rapidly or as well when breastfed by moms on Zoloft;

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/antidepressants-hale10-02.html

Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 6:40 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I think it depends on what you are taking. I know when I was breast feeding my middle child I got a sinus infection. I would not breast feed him and take the medication. So I you are taking meds and the DR says you should not breast feed then I would not.
    Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:35 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• if you're taking lots of meds that you shouldn't breastfeed with then, yes, listen to your doctor. although, your doctor should give you meds that allow you to breastfeed. i've never heard of a doctor against breastfeeding, unless it's a medical reason...oh and yes, breast milk is more direct. they can literally taste what you ate through the breastmilk.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 6:36 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Could you switch anti-depressants? That article seems to have some helpful into on finding safe anti-depressants for breastfeeding.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 6:42 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• It really depends on what you are taking. I would do some research of my own before I decided not to breastfeed if that is what you really want to do. I was on some medication when I breasfed and my kids have all been fine.
    Peaches8701

Answer by Peaches8701 at 6:43 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• i think you should definitely listen to your doctor. look at it this way, all doctors encourage bf ing (if they dont, then you need a new one) so if a doctor is telling you this is in the best interest of your child then you should listen. you can always go and get a second opinion. and i recommend you do that. if your not feeling comfortable with the decision, then get another opinion to help set your mind at ease
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 7:01 PM on Oct. 28, 2008