Postpartum Depression, How about it, have you experience it?

This is like a "bad word" but actually its not and I try to put it out there sometimes because ppl need to know, that it does happen, you can over come it, go see your doctor. Its really a simple explanation for it...in layman terms: Hormones are outta wack!
Based on the severity, don't be embarrassed to talk about it, call your doctor, call your friend, call your mom.
I had it and my friend had it and I know a couple of other people too.
It completely and totally freaked me out! Didn't want to harm my child, I just aint know what to do with the lil bugger. Think about it, they send you home with this human being you know nothing about. I can't even balance my checkbook now you want me to take care of this baby, on my own!
I had no support, sept hubby and he had to work! Just me n the kid.
well, 7.5 yrs later...and I am thankful, someone told their story!

websavvy1

Asked by websavvy1 at 10:58 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• I had it really bad with my oldest, to be honest I was most likely borderline PPP... But I didn't know what it was or that there was even help. I thought that was all just a normal part of being a new mom. Thankfully I got pregnant right away (5 months) again and that helped to even out my hormones enough that I got through it. I had no help or support and honestly everyone that should have been there for me thought there was something wrong with me, they thought I was just going to be a "bad mom" as they told me later...

I am 33wks with my third child now, and I'm already having early signs of PPD, so my dr wants me to seek medication now, rather than wait. She thinks if I can get early treatment we can "jump start" dealing with it once she is here and possibly avoid going as far as I did the first time.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:03 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• @sabrinambowen, speak with your doctor, they will let you know how to move forward, they are there to help and they will be so glad you came! Trust me! Good luck and keep us posted
    websavvy1

Comment by websavvy1 (original poster) at 11:08 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I have suffered from it with all 5 of my children. My youngest is now 7 months old and I was recently hospitalize with PPP. They are still working on adjusting my meds to get me on the right comb. But things are starting to look up. Because I suffered with all my children the last 2 I was on meds during my pregnancy to help make it not so bad. Thank you for bringing up such a great subject that really hits home for a lot of silent sufferers.
    mwallace1023

Answer by mwallace1023 at 11:20 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I had it bad. I have a history of depression, and that, combined with my husband losing his job while I was pregnant, moving, overworking myself to make up for his layoff, then a complicated birth and major challenges with breastfeeding, I used to sit and cry for hours. I finally made an appointment with a counselor covered by my insurance (she was no help, really). Ultimately, I found that exercise and mommy group were really helpful. I wish we had the money for a better counselor, but we just don't. Now my son is 2, and I still struggle with the depression, but I do what I can to take care of myself.
    Post partum and pregnancy related depression are BOTH VERY COMMON. You are NOT alone if you have this, and there is help available. Talk to your doc, your spouse, your friends. It's scary and can spiral out of control if you're not careful.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:21 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Luckly, I never had a problem. Just make sure to talk to someone and remember you have this great new little person that needs you and loves you. Best wishes!
    jshimmy

Answer by jshimmy at 10:08 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I a havign ym 5th chid in Jan. and Ihonestly have NEVER had it! BUT... My hisband is army, and he gts 6 weeks paid leave every time we have a baby, and he does all night shft ( i dont BF) nd he does 50% of everything! I m never sleep deprived or anything like that, we take shiftsad help one another, and to me if you can do that, it is the best way to avoid PPD
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:53 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I didn't have it with my oldest, however with my youngest is has been a nightmare! Not only did I have PPD, but PPA and PPOCD!! It took me a few months after having him to seek a support group I am very thankful that I did. It also took me months before I would start any kind of medication because I was BFing. He is now just over 2 yrs old and I have relapsed, but I am in one on one therapy and taking medication on a regular basis. I think the more you share your story the more you feel better about yourself and what you have gone through! I am always wiling to share my experience with moms and anyone can always PM me at anytime!!! I want to be here for moms as a way of giving back to the moms that have been there for me!!!
    snipcrank1

Answer by snipcrank1 at 12:59 PM on Oct. 20, 2010