Is sock yarn solely used for making socks?

This probably sounds silly of me to ask but I have no idea. I crochet and was reading an article that mentioned sock yarn. Can it be used for other projects too or just mainly socks? LOL I don't know so I figured I would ask. SOmeone is bound to know the answer.

Mamaford2

Asked by Mamaford2 at 11:06 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I am not sure. Here is a bump though! :)
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:15 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Yes it can. It's just the weight. If you were to find something that could be knit to gauge you could make sure about anything really. I imagine it would make a nice spring sweater - although the amount of stitches it would require could very well kill me LOL.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:35 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I'm using 150g of black sock yarn at the moment, making a shawl with bats on it :D

Sock yarn is called so because of it's weight, and it's usually got something added in it to make it a little elastic and more comfortable.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 3:18 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• You can use it for anything you like. As the people before me said it is the weight of the yarn. So say you wanted to make mittens out of it or a hat that would be fine. The yarn will not be very fuzzy or thick.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:03 PM on Oct. 28, 2010