Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

is there any money i can get to go to college threw the army/miltary

my dh and me have split and i want to go to college and i was hoping that since we are still married and everything i can get some money threw the army/miltary but i dont know how to do this. so if there is anyone that can help me it would be great, im going to start in jan. he is a e-2 has been in the army for about 2 years and has paid for his gi bill. please please help me

Answer Question

Asked by cowgirl856 at 11:12 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in

Level 3 (15 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • Unless he hands over his GI Bill to you, it's very unlikely... I can't think of anything else off the top of my head actually.

    Answer by Razelda at 11:13 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

  • Apply for financial aid. They usually help moms the most.

    Answer by GinNTonic at 11:16 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

  • Only if he lets you use his GI bill. Otherwise, you're on your own.

    Answer by musicpisces at 11:24 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

  • through, not "threw". Help through the military,in other words.
    WHen you tossed a ball, you threw it.
    Its always a good idea to get more education. I hope youcan get some finncial help.student loans,etc.

    Answer by kerp1960 at 11:29 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

  • I think the program for spouses to get tuition assistance was put on hold because of funding. He has to sign his GI bill to you for you to get anything through the military. However, since he's an E2 you can probably apply for grants and get them.

    Answer by Izsarejman at 11:33 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

  • "As of August 2009 the AD member can transfer 50% of the GI Bill to dependents, they must have served 6 years and reenlisting for 4 more, or done 10 years. He has 10 years after he gets out to use it. With the GI Bill transfer it is only going to pay tuition it will not pay E5 BAH as it does to the AD member."


    Answer by musicmom08 at 11:37 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

  • If you have split, you get nothing. You do not get benefits unless you are continuing to be married to the military member, unless it's child support or alimony or you have been married for 10 years or more during your husbands enlistment (and then divorced). You will need to get your own financial aid.

    Answer by emilex at 11:41 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

  • a lot of schools have scholarships for spouses of military

    Answer by BigfordBrat at 7:23 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

  • I heard that military spouses get discounts, and there is also the Pell Grant you can apply for. The Stafford loan is nice because it is a Federal loan, and you do not have to start paying it back until 6 months after you graduate college. So if you go and get yoru Bachelors degree and then decide to get your Masters as well, you will not have to pay a penny until 6 months after you finish your masters. The payments for the stafford loans are typically pretty low, and if you think about it with a college degree you will be making plenty of money to pay that loan back. The pell grants are a great help too, and if you start off at a community college then the Pell grant should be enough to pay for your tuition and books. Good luck!

    Answer by superm0m877 at 8:09 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

  • It's called the Montgomery GI Bill.

    Answer by _Tam_ at 11:29 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.