Why is my housebroke dog peeing and pooping in the house!!?? More important, how do I stop it?

I have a new puppy in the house. He's been here about two weeks. My older dog, Oliver, who is housebroke, is displaying some odd behavior. He has been very loving and welcoming towards the puppy. They are actually buddies and cuddle together,play together. So that's why I don't understand. He literally lifted his leg and pissed on my TV tonight, he walked up to me yesterday and lifted his leg on my feet!! He came in from being outside yesterday and ran straight into my sons room to poop. He is neutered and house trained. How can I make him stop? Do I just need to give him some time? Is he confused?

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 11:22 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Pets

• territorial sounds like
    adelinasmommy

Answer by adelinasmommy at 11:25 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• But he likes the puppy.Loves him in fact! I'm wondering if it isn't for attention. He's not really acting territorial. He's still really friendly and mellow. I have had a lot of dogs, but this is just wierd. I'm more concerned how to get him to stop.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 11:28 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Just because he gets along w/ the pup doesn't mean he's not feeling territorial. Esp if puppy isn't housebroke yet. From the sound of it he's marking his people and their favorite stuff, he's telling puppy that in no uncertain terms this is his house. Talk to your vet and do some research, you may have to work on house breaking him from scratch again. Your vet will probably test him for a few thing make sure its not an illness that's effecting his behavior and if he's physically healthy can probably prescribe some meds to help him adjust. I would try the non-drug methods (behavior modifications) you find in your research before giving him anything not medically necessary though
    Skipo510

Answer by Skipo510 at 11:29 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Yeah, I think the puppy has got a lot of attention lately. Oliver can kind of shove himself in your face for love.lol I think some extra walks, and play time may be in order. I am taking them both to the vet for shots here soon. I'll talk to them. I guess I wasn't thinking territorial because they even eat out of the same dish at the same time and are fine. Maybe he's sad?
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 11:34 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• He is showing the puppy who is boss. Our dog did that when we got our puppy. We quickly reminded said dog that we were the alpha animals in his pack.
    meandmyshadow

Answer by meandmyshadow at 11:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Territorial I agree even though he likes him,he letting him know that is his place he is king.You just have to remind him you head dog lol
    bucky77

Answer by bucky77 at 4:02 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I'm with everyone else he is showing puppy that he is alpha dog and that just means you need to show him that YOU are alpha dog. lol

You may have to retrain Oliver as you train the new puppy. Good luck and definitely talk to your vet.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 12:53 PM on Oct. 21, 2010