at my wits end

I don't know what to do here. my 2 month old will not sleep unless I hold him. I have tried the whole let him "cry it out" thing and it doesnt work he just cries and cries and cries. He's fed and diapers is dry. I know this sounds bad put its getting me angry. I don't like getting mad at him. I want to literally pull my hair out. I DO NOT want him to get used to me holding him all the time or I will never get any rest. and co sleeping does not work. I have to be sitting up with him. If I put him down for a second at any time at all he screams his full head off. what do I do? my first DS did not do this. swing,. carseat, bouncy seat NOTHING WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

travisnowensmom

Asked by travisnowensmom at 11:34 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• at 2 mos I wouldn't worry too much about him getting used to being held all the time yet. Some babies just aren't comfy unless they have their protector nearby (i.e. you) Something I read about a while ago that you can try is get a piece of your clothing that's been worn recently so it smells like you and when you put him down place the shirt on him like a blanket or like a head cradle then start the swing or whatever so he has the rocking motion from being held and your scent close by.
    Skipo510

Answer by Skipo510 at 11:42 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Sorry to hear your having this problem..... have you told your doctor about this problem? I honestly dont believe letting them "cry it out" is somthing you should try until a child is over six months in age.... There is nothing wrong with holding your newborn constanly to soothe em, gives them a sense of security, that mommie will take care of any need that arises.... on that note, have you ruled out Colic? I personal havent had any kids with colic but my best friend did, and the cryin didnt stop until he was a year old... like i said before i was talk to your doctor about the problem, just to rule out any medical issues.. hope yyou can resolve your problelm soon! every mommie needs her sleep. i feel your pain, stay strong mommie!
    BabeeOnBoard

Answer by BabeeOnBoard at 11:44 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Well, although I am not against CIO, 2 months is probably much to young for that to work. I think the best thing you can do is figure out where you want him to sleep, and kind of meet him half way. Let him fuss, sooth him and put him down again. Keep at it...I can remember the days where it feels like it will never get better but it will!! If you have tried everything, then maybe just stick to one soothing routine/technique and keep at it. The things that worked best for my 2 kids were white noise (I used a humidifier) and swaddling. And I mean super-swaddling, tight as could be.
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 11:46 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Yes crying it out at 2 months is not a good thing nor will it work. I had a couple like this and they would only sleep "on me" so honestly, I slept with them literally on my chest or in my arms in a chair. It was the only way I got any sleep. After a while they got older and it got easier and they would sleep in their crib. Will your baby sleep on you, while you lay down or sleep in a chair? If your baby just won't sleep any where, I would take your baby to the doctor. It may be a medical issue.
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 11:50 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• no he will not sleep if I am laying down or next to me. I have to sit up which is hard for me because if I do I get excrutiating migraines. for the life of me I cannot get him on a routine...everybody says by now he should have a sleep schedule. he sees his doctor on Monday.
    travisnowensmom

Comment by travisnowensmom (original poster) at 11:52 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I think it's normal for a 2 month old to be held most of the time, but if it's a problem for you, you can try talking to your pediatrician.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:53 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• my fiyst son was like that till one day he fell asleep n i put him in his car seat buckled in n he stayed sleeping so thats how i got some rest from carring him all the time n would rest my self i guess he thought he was carried by being buckled in the car seat even at night i did that n he slept well eventualy he finaly stayed in his crib
    sandi_361

Answer by sandi_361 at 12:10 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• My DS and DD both needed Mylicon for gas. Have you tried it? You can get it anywhere and it's safe. A lot of times they will cry and cry because they have painful gas bubbles and once that's gone, they are able to relax and rest. I don't believe in "crying it out." None of my kids liked swaddling, but I hear that it works wonders for some babies. My DD (5 Mo now) likes to be held all of the time, but she is not as bad as you're mentioning. I'm glad you have an appointment Monday, but that's still quite a ways off. Do you have a husband that can give you a break so you can have some "me time" I think that's what you need in order to not be angry at your baby and give your mind and body a rest. Don't feel bad, everyone needs a break now and then. If you don't have a SO, reach out to a friend or family. If that's not available, you could even hire someone (babysitter) for short stints so you can sleep. (ie 4 hours)
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 12:16 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Have you tried using white noise? I used the sound of rain and rocked my baby in my lap for like 10 or 20 minutes when he was that young and then I would slowly stop rocking and move him to the swing but I kept the rain sound playing at the same volume and played it the whole time he was asleep. That's what worked for me. Sorry you are losing sleep. Being a mom can be frustrating at times and the lack of sleep doesn't help our emotions stay balanced. I also agree with carol2m2, if you have anyone you can call, do it. Everyone needs a break and other people who have had children tend to be understanding of the ups and downs that come with having a newborn in the house.
    MommyBird388

Answer by MommyBird388 at 2:06 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Don't try any new methods when you are sleepy or hungry or in a general bad mood.
    adelinasmommy

Answer by adelinasmommy at 3:30 AM on Oct. 20, 2010