depression

is post partum depression real? I never had this with my first child. And I will not be a coward and post this anonymous. I need some support. I am getting really depressed, starting to hate myself and my life. I just want to run away and be alone. I am taking everything out on my husband. I keep saying he nevers helps me or anything and he does. As of right now I am angry with him because he is sleeping soundly and I am sitting here listening to a baby scream and cry. I don't want to be on meds but I don't know what to do. I do nothing but yell at my 4 year old and my husband. During the day is fine but at night I feel like I lose my mind. Is it because the day is catching up to me? I need some help or advice. I go to see my ob tomorrow and don't know what to say. The baby makes me angry when all he does is cry and I SHOULD not get angry at my baby. I don't think of hurting him or anything I just get mad. am i messed up?!?!

travisnowensmom

Asked by travisnowensmom at 11:41 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Health

• Yes! Postpartum depression is very real! And so is a more uncommon but still real condition called postpartum psychosis. All of the stuff you just said in here, you need to say to your ob. Even if you have to print it out or write it down and read it off! Medications will be very helpful and you will feel so much better. Please just know that it is real, you can get help and don't be afraid!
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 11:44 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Oh, also, you are not "messed up". This has happened to lots of us and it's hard! Nobody tells you this part about being a mother...the part where you feel like a total crazy person :-) Seriously, talk to your OB. You can get some help.
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 11:45 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• You need to talk to your doctor about it...Sometimes meds is what you need. I had to take them after I had my son and I need to make a new appointment because I am having a hard time with depression again. When I get depressed it is not only like how you are feeling but I will stop eating as well. So it gets super bad with me...
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:46 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Your fury is partly because of your situation, but mostly because you are becoming exhausted.

One of the things that responsible and dedicated mothers often do, particularly here where we believe in 8 hours of sleep and 'idle hands are the devil's workshop'... is go and go and go and go all day long without rest or pause.

Some of it is getting tangled up in entitlement/earning/deserving... you resent your husband sleeping when you aren't because you have 'earned' it and he hasn't...or not as much as you, or you're entitled to as much as him and it becomes a contest, a war.

The book Mother Nurture will help you more than pills --and more than a pregnancy specialist will, psychology is far outside their field! It will help you see how you need to have a more balanced morning of rest and activity and rest and activity...

Your chlidren's mother needs more rest, my dear. She's a nice lady and deserves it.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:55 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• PPD is very real. Tell your Dr everything you have said here and ask for help. Also, talk to your pediatrician about the baby's crying. Talk things over with your DH too and let him know you are concerned for yourself. Ask the Dr if there are any mother's groups he can help you find for support. I wish you all the best.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:56 AM on Oct. 20, 2010