Bullying (con't) Not on my watch, what would you do?

I was reading a previous post about bullying and the kids committing suicide. Bullying is not good, I was bullied. I bullied one time (really) and it felt horrible. I wanted the kids to think I was cool. On top of that the kids big sister kicked my butt (that was it for me.) Then I turned out to be the bodyguards (so to speak) for the kids that got bullied (not on my watch) I told the parent, the teacher,the principal that a kid was getting messed with.
I wasn't worried about the bullies because I could hold my own and I was friends with everybody, with the popular kids and not so popular.

If kids are old enough, perhaps they can be educated them on how to identify a potential problem and report it (even) anonymously. Set up a hotline or something. Tell a parent, teacher or something, if it saves a life, I'm all for it.
They have cell phones, text a hot-line

websavvy1

Asked by websavvy1 at 11:43 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• arm the kids with video cameras.
    Anonymous

• i agree
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 11:48 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Get the parents involved not just the parents of the kid getting bullied, but the parents of the bullies.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 11:52 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• things that i did as a teen...
    stopped a group of girls from putting nair in another girls shampoo..didi stop a bully? idk.
    stopped a group of kids from teasing a special kid..did i stop bullying? idk
    stopped a girl from fighting another girl...did i stop abully...idk
    stopped a group of girls from ridiculing one another...did i stop bullying...idk

can i look myself in the mirror, yes.
    do i do unto others as i would have them so unto me? yes.

is dealing with bullies a part of life? maybe
    are we afraid to talk to other parents? maybe

look...life is hard, we need to deal with it the best that we can. if your kid is strong, and a leader...then teach them mercy and kindness.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:07 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Supervision?'

It is illegal for one adult to 'supervise' more than a very small number of minors --ask around, the laws vary from one jurisdiction to another, but none of them are '12'-- except on school grounds where the answer is almost as often 100 kids to one 'supervisor' as it is 400 or 800 kids to NO supervisors (after school, when everyone in the entire building is 'done' taking responsibility.

The idea that one adult can adequately supervise 15 eight-year-olds, with any mind to stemming the antisocial, immature behaviour that pops up spontaneously in any chaotic social system, is completely ridiculous.

There are 3 sets of victims of bullying: the obvious ones, who are often directly hurt, the witnesses who are traumatized and whose self-esteem tanks because they feel powerless (never a good thing for people) and the bullies, who come to see themselves and cruel and out of control and hate themselves, too.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:23 AM on Oct. 20, 2010