Any other moms that are nurses?

...and if you work at a hospital has it gotten really bad where you work in the last couple of years? We have had cutbacks, reduction in staff....I am stressed to the max and I LOVE nursing!!! Just wondering if it's the same everywhere....

heathermarie32

Asked by heathermarie32 at 11:44 PM on Oct. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• I'm an RN in east TN and it seems that we just can't keep staff. Pay is VERY poor here, one of the lowest in the country. We frequently work understaffed and they are constantly changing our matrix to benifit their needs. It's exhausting. I work med-surg so we are the busiest floor in the hospital and to be understaffed makes it nearly impossible to get everything done in a night.
    ValerieRNmom

Answer by ValerieRNmom at 1:45 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I'm not a nurse, but a friend of mine is. I think there have been cutbacks everywhere in the medical field. I find it's really sad and I keep hoping that it will change.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 9:21 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I'm studying to be a nurse, and I work in the lab in the meantime. Never before had I NOT seen nursing jobs on the postings. So weird. The hiring freezes here have let up some, and I know two local hospitals are actually expanding right now, so I imagine there are some jobs here, although we won't be here once I graduate.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:52 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• Our hospital is still actually hiring, but there are only a certain amount of staff they are budgeted for...and if census goes above that we have to make do...I have been a nurse for 15 years and this is the worse that I have seen it where I am. Nursing is still a great profession (not trying to be discouraging....) I just hope this economic slump passes so things will improve.
    heathermarie32

Comment by heathermarie32 (original poster) at 11:58 PM on Oct. 19, 2010