What kind of foods should a 12 month old be eating?

My son just turned a year old and he loves his baby food! He occasionally takes bites out of what my husband and I may be eating at the time but I'm not sure what to give him besides mashed potatoes and things that are very easy to chew like soft fruits and vegetables. Is it too soon to give him sandwiches? I need some ideas of fast, easy, lunches. I don't want to "baby" him by continuing with the baby food and I know that it isn't meeting his nutritional needs anymore. How do I make this transition? Thanks!!!

-First time mom

ChasingLandon

Asked by ChasingLandon at 12:26 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i started making brown rice, and pouring his stage 3 baby food over it. dipping pieces of bread in it. spegghati and pasta, meat balls, veggies, chicken cut up very small, pastina with egg butter and parm cheese, eggs and whole wheat toast, pancakes, cheerios with banana, oatmeal, macaroni and potatoe salad, meatloaf, etc. you really can give him almost everything that you eat as long as its cut up very small. you have to get him used to these things. the only things you should not give yet are peanut butter. i waited until 14 -15 months for peanut butter & he didnt like it the first time but second time he started likeing it, hot dogs because they are a choking hazard and are just full of garbage, popcorn wait until 4 because its a choking hazard, and i havent given my 16 month old steak yet either because i just think its too hard to chew and cold cuts because they have bacteria in them, and tuna because of the mercury.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:32 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• and make sure you always have a sippy cup (with a straw) with water so they can wash the food down.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:33 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Thanks so much for taking the time to answer and for the suggestions!
    ChasingLandon

Comment by ChasingLandon (original poster) at 12:35 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• My sons like things like noodles and vegetables. (macaroni noodles they are easier to grab) and eggs, my two year old loves scrambled and my ten month old eats boiled eggs. they both like tuna. Frozen veggies like peas corn and carrots. all kinds of fruit blueberries, bananas, strawberries, mango, kiwi, avocado. All diced. Cereal (dry) my 10 month old loves LIFE and multi grain cheerios. My youngest I have to be careful with many types of food due to his milk protein allergy. But when my oldest was one he liked a ton of things like cottage cheese, yogurt, string cheese. Neither are into meat really (my oldest is getting use to it now) but the doctor said its totally normal because a lot of kids don't like the texture of meat. Anyhow thats all I can think of at the moment!
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 12:53 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• by a year my daughter was eating mr noodles I don't know what they are called in the states... rice mashed tatters.. french fries soups, eggs tuna bananas and much much more I wont list it all here because some moms are anal and I don't feel like being chewed out but message me hun.. I would not worry sweetie as long as it does not pose a choking hazard and he wants to try it. I would let him but please contact me so I can tell you in better detail what we or I rather did with my daughter
    pinkangel79

Answer by pinkangel79 at 1:02 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Get yourself a Happy Baby Baby Food Grinder. Whatever you eat, grind up and let him eat it like a big boy. Fed all nine that way...it's cheaper and healthier (assuming you are not grinding up Big Macs, lol...)
    mommyx9

Answer by mommyx9 at 9:19 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• By 12 months, you shouldn't need to grind his food up. Just cut it in small pieces and make sure it's fairly soft. You can feed him bits of sandwiches but make sure it is whole wheat bread - for health reason and because soggy soft white bread can be a choking hazard. My son loves turkey sandwiches. Cheese ravioli without sauce was a favorite as well - not the Gerber kind (too much sodium) but you can get healthy frozen mini ravioli, although you may still have to cut it up at first. My son also likes beans - green beans, crowder peas, lima beans, black eyed peas, etc.

Answer by missanc at 11:37 AM on Oct. 20, 2010