smoking...

my parents have both been smoking for about 30 years. And my mom just found out she has the beginning stages of emphasemia. Currently dh and I live with my parents. My parents have both decided to quit. So far my mom has gone 12hrs (so proud of her!!). But dh isn't trying to stop. I tried to tell him that him still smoking isn't being very supportive, esp. Considering what my mom is going through. I don't know how to get him to see... I know it's his choice and all that, but this really brings it al home ya know?

jedwards2009

Asked by jedwards2009 at 12:41 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Best of luck to your parents and good for them for deciding to quit! As for your DH, I'd tell him that if he is going to smoke, he has to do it far away enough from the house so that they cannot even get a slight smell of it. That's one of the worst things when you're trying to quit...smelling a cigarette.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:44 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• wel if he doesnt want to stop ask him not to do it around ur parents
    sandi_361

Answer by sandi_361 at 12:44 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Your husband needs to simply not smoke around your parents. He's not going to quit himself, and shouldn't quit, until he wants to and is ready. You can't force him.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:46 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• if he doesnt want to quit tell him to do it outside away from your mum.. i know how hard it is.. i quit relapsed quit relapsed. my dad smokes so i had it there if i wanted it.. ( when i was a quitter) so in the end i went back to smoking. it is very hard and your mum has done well to last 12 hours.. i recently tried to quit and only lasted 10 hours! bloody hell. anyway just tell him its his choice but can he do it away from mum as shes going through the tough 3 days.. these stages are so hard and having asmoker around makes it so much harder.. its more of an out of sight out of mind thing . goodluck
    Weldo1983

Answer by Weldo1983 at 12:47 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• i smoke it not that we don't want to quit but it is hard i can not take the gum or the patch because i break out in hives ,instead of yelling at your dad give him time he has to quit because he needs to quit for him self not for you or any one else all you can do is be there for him when he does yelling and screaming won't work
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 1:06 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• you only quit when you are ready not because someone is sick or because someone wants you to...it has to come from you if not they fall over and over again...

iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 1:17 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I can relate all too well to this, my Grand Father died of emphasemia, and my father was a heavy smoker and was told he was at the beginning stages of it also and he needed to quit, he quit 10 year ago, last Dec he was diagnosed with lung cancer, had a big surgery and chemo and just finished a couple of months ago and as far as we know its been sucessful!

You parents chances will be much better if they give up, the emphasemia will be cronic in ony a few years if they dont. I wish them all the best. When it comes to your DH you can try to be supportive but you cant force someone to quit an addiction, they have to want to commit to it themselves. I would surely be telling you DH out of respect for your Mom he should not smoke around her, he can always go fr a walk if he wants a smoke, I think thats the least he could do, esp seeing your staying in there home.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 6:11 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• If he doesnt want to quit then he wont and you wont be able to force him 2
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 3:52 PM on Oct. 20, 2010