Anyone had an epidural before....?

Anyone had an epidural before had have a bad experience from it? Any breast feeding issues with it? Did it make you have to have c- section due to lack of ability to dialate?

SunshineSandie

Asked by SunshineSandie at 12:47 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I have had 2 epidurals... Never had any issues with them, Breast fed both babies with out issue and I was never in extended labor... With my oldest I pushed just under an hour, which isn't longer than average, and with the second I only pushed twice, he was born in less than 3 mins... The ONLY issue I have ever had is a small patch of dry skin on my back where the epidurals were, that's it. I'm due in December and having a third one...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:56 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I had one 4 years ago with my son and had no complications at all... I was only in labor for 12 hours and pushed for 45 minutes... I have hyper-sensitive nerves in my lower back now because of it, but nothing that interferes with my lifestyle in any way.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:50 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• yes but only once and the needle wouldn't stay in.
    Indie

Answer by Indie at 12:59 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Yep, 3 epidurals, all for 1 labor. They gave me the first one around 6am and it was great. Felt no pain at all during the first 4 hours and then it wore off. They put in a 2nd one, and it never took. For the next four hours, I felt every contraction and I was miserable. From what DH told me, I passed out a couple of times. I don't remember. They gave me the third one just as my son was starting to crown (so obviously I delivered vaginally). I was so relieved not to feel anything anymore.

I will say this though. It scared me from wanting to have another baby for the longest time. The thought of going through that kind of pain again was terrifying. I hated when anyone asked me (especially right after I had my son) when I was going to have another. Well, now I'm to the point where I do want another, but I do think I will talk to my ob about alternatives. Not ruling an epidural out, but if there's something better...
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 1:02 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Never had an issue with breastfeeding. Have you read that it leads to breastfeeding issues? I've never heard of that.
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 1:03 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Now I'm not really sure how long my labor was (do you count from your first contraction, or from when your water breaks? If from the time water breaks, then it was about 12 hours--otherwise, maybe 15-18 hours?) and I pushed for 30-40 minutes.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 1:04 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• yeah im allergic full body tremors its awful..didnt even start working ..
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 5:22 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I had one with both of my vaginally delivered children, with no complications.
    nicksmom604

Answer by nicksmom604 at 8:47 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Yes, and my back hasn't been right ever since, I woke up the next day in terrible pain and when I took my daughter home after three days, I couldn't stand up straight for a few days and my back was stiff everyday for a year or so. I used to sleep on my stomach, and now I have to sleep on my sides because it still hurts in the morning if I don't. I wish that I'd never got it because it wasn't worth it.
    browneyes27

Answer by browneyes27 at 8:54 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• yes the first was in march 07, it didnt work at all. i dont know if it made dialtion slow but it took me 16 hrs to get from 4-10
    second was feb 09. it was perefect. contactions began at 11 i had im at 4 but my water broke at 5 am. i was 4 cm when i went int
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:00 AM on Oct. 20, 2010