Should 3 years old have puppies?

DeBee13

Asked by DeBee13 at 1:00 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Pets

• absolutely! kids need to start learning responsibility and caring early in life. We had dogs before I can remember in fact I grew up in a house with 13 Australian Cattle Dogs, they were all working dogs and each had a job and loved and protected us and I loved it
    Mrs.PMAL

Answer by Mrs.PMAL at 12:00 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• We got a 3 month old puppy when my son was almost 3 months. They are both 2 years old now and BEST FRIENDS! My son has started saying Buppy and we think that is a mix of Brother and Puppy, cause I used to tell him to go get his brother. The 'Buppy' is now almost 90 lbs and is so gentle and loves to wake up my son each morning! I think pets are GREAT for kids! :)
    RachWell

Answer by RachWell at 1:07 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• As long as you realize that it's actually going to be your puppy. :) Our two year old son considers our oldest dog, Tiki, his dog. they've grown up together. But I do all the work, so she's really mine. LOL!
    HeatherReneeB

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 12:44 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• i dont see why not...
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:01 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• My two year old has a puppy...really I have a puppy that lose to my son every time he wants to play. But we got the puppy for him.
    prettypaper

Answer by prettypaper at 1:02 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• i bought my puppy when i was pregnant so my baby has grown up with her. ( shes 9 month now) its good if the kids learn to be gentle with the puppy too. but i dont see why it would be a problem.. the only issue you should be concerned with is to ensure the puppie is wormed consistently.. children can pick up roundworm and threadworm easier then adults. so make sure the puppy you get has been wormed and make sure you keep worming the puppy so they dont get these worms.. other than that they should be fine.
    Weldo1983

Answer by Weldo1983 at 1:03 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Why not? As long as you aren't expecting him to clean up after her and walk her. My dogs are more "family" dogs! lol
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:04 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Sure, I don't see why not. We watched my mom's new puppy for two weeks when she first got her... I have a 3 & 4 yo... They did awesome.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:05 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Just remember you will be the one taking care of the puppy for a while :-) but my three year old totally had a puppy...and I miss said puppy terribly.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 4:32 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I don't see why not unless you expect the child to be the sole care taker.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:39 AM on Oct. 20, 2010