Degeneration of America

What do you think is causing the decline of morals in society? Parents, not parenting? The lack of privacy in everyone's lives? The need for instant gratification? Media? Social Networking, and computer access? (and any others)

Pumelo

Asked by Pumelo at 1:13 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Morality hasn't changed. It's just more people are obsessed now than ever before with sticking their nose in their neighbors' homes and judging them based on what they do there.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:35 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Media. Television, radio, video games. Almost anything goes these days. Network television is competing with cable by telecasting what can be considered R rated "entertainment", lyrics in some songs are downright obscene, video games excessive violence, general rudeness to people you don't even know for no particular reason. Everything just seems to get worse as time goes by.
    Iluvautumn

Answer by Iluvautumn at 1:27 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• im not sure your assertion is true...humans have been behaving in much the same way for atleast several thousand years, the only thing that changes is how we behave publicly. our private lives remain much the same. societal norms go through phases or cycles. its all been done before and will be done again. "sinful" behaviors may seem more prevalent due to a variety of factors like greater social acceptance, accessability of media, and technological developments. just because you see or hear of a behavior more does not mean it actually happens more.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 1:44 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I agree with the first poster.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:37 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Broadly speaking, I agree with NotPanicking. 40 years ago, the invasion of personal lives and privacy by the media and other nosey-parkers would have been unthinkable .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 2:54 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Loria, I was going to say the very same thing. We always think now my kid can't go play outside by herself, well really kids were kidnapped just as much when you were a kid than now. I know for a fact kids were kidnapped just as much maybe more in the 80's and 90's than now and that's when I was a kid. Abuse in any way towards others towards yourself(drugs etc etc) is all over the news now so it is in everyone's homes. I personally find it sad!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 8:23 AM on Oct. 20, 2010