Is sleep over-rated - or did I miss this question at another time I wasn't sleeping..... ??

Insomnia has been an increasing issue for some time -- Is it my age (55), stress (husband and others) or am I just loosing it?

Nebraskaoma

Asked by Nebraskaoma at 1:59 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Health

• see a doctor mama they might be able to help you...
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 2:07 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• All of the above! As you age, you tend to need slightly less sleep (as little as 5 hours a night, even), but you should be waking up rested. Stress can contribute, so can a spouse (I know mine does!), any number of things. Try developing a night time routine, including quiet time with no computer, TV, cell phone, etc, just reading, knitting, or something else that relaxes you. Maybe a bath, a walk, whatever works. Don't get into bed until you are tired. The more you lay there thinking, I should be asleep by now, the less likely you are to fall asleep. Do the exact same thing before bed every night for awhile and see how that goes. Cut out any caffeine in the afternoon/evening, alcohol, chocolate, or anything else that can disrupt sleep. Good luck, and sweet dreams!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:11 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I should have mentioned I have custody of my autistic granddaugher - she doesn't sleep either - though we are making adjustments to her first and only medication and it is getting much better - I haven't had a full night's sleep in almost four years : ) -- Prior to four years ago, it was about 18 years - while I worried about the children I birthed : ) I appreciate your suggestions - I really do - I just forget that "mommies" need time, too.
    Nebraskaoma

Comment by Nebraskaoma (original poster) at 2:20 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• sleep isnt over rater it is a very important role in our lives and for our bodies. Keeping track of special kids is hard but its not worth loosing sleep. I know that I loose sleep sometimes because of the whole pregnancy but i nap through out the day. I would deffinantly go see a doctor if i was you. Sounds like something might be serious.
    tiny_mommyJL

Answer by tiny_mommyJL at 2:28 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• You need sleep. If you're well rested, then you can deal with stress better. As we get older, we have more trouble sleeping. Set up a bedtime routine. Wash face, go to bathroom, put on nice gown or pajamas, reading helps me. Same time every night is best. It gets your body in the habit. If you feel sleepy during the day, take a nap. It's refreshing.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:44 AM on Oct. 20, 2010