Tampons & TSS

How long do you feel comfortable leaving in a tampon?

I hate pads so I use tampons all the time even at night.
Would you leave it in overnight? Worried about developing TSS.

im curious to see what other moms think about this issue.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:16 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Health

• Max 6 hours for me
    nowmommyof2

Answer by nowmommyof2 at 2:16 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• 5hrs to me
    mama2010B

Answer by mama2010B at 2:18 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I have left them in overnight for years and never had a problem. I put one in right before bed, and change it as soon as I get up. TSS is more likely to occur when you leave it in for a LONG time. As in well over 12 hours. Bacterial growth (the cause of TSS) takes time, and women didn't know how long you could leave in tampons years ago, and because they would leave them in so long, the tampon companies still have to put the disclaimer. Just be good about changing it out, and you'll be fine.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:19 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I frequently wear tampons overnight and have since I was 14 or so, except for postpartum bleeding and the first couple of periods after I had my daughter. As long as you change it as soon as you get up and don't use them longer than you have to, it's not that big of a worry anymore. Tampons are also not made of the same materials as they were when TSS was a problem.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:29 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I always use them overnight. I HATE pads and avoid them as much as possible. I just try and put it in as late as possible and if I get up in the middle of the night I will sometimes change it. But it has never been a problem for me to leave them in all night :)
    Baby.Fremd7

Answer by Baby.Fremd7 at 2:35 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• HHAHAHA I love that Baby.Fremd...my sons do the same thing!!
    sexy_can_i

Answer by sexy_can_i at 2:48 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• my son too haha I will keep them in overnight and I change them when they need to be changed
    (sorry if TMI)
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 2:56 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• sons?? I don't get what you are talking about? how can your SONS do the same thing?
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:06 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Right before bed, removed when I woke.
    But my period is often so heavy, sometimes I change it out every hour!
    LadyCash

Answer by LadyCash at 3:11 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I use them overnight.
    ripburn

Answer by ripburn at 3:34 AM on Oct. 20, 2010