Is the USAF taking Geds currently?

A friend of mine was wondering if the USAF was taking GEDs currently, I'm not sure because my DH is Army. Also, is the Air Guard taking GEDs or doing a GED program? Thankyou!

Mom2Rylin

Asked by Mom2Rylin at 5:39 AM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

• Yes and No. They basically do it on a case by case situation. Only 1% of the enlistees have a GED. But if your friend has a good work record or has received accomplishments through work then it would greatly increase their chances of getting in. Also, if they have 15 hours of college credit, then to the military that is the equivalent of having a High School Diploma. I would encourage your friend to go talk to a recruiter to discuss their options.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:28 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• "The Air Force is the most strict on this matter. The Air Force allows less than one percent of annual enlistments to be recruits without a high school diploma. The Marines have the next highest standards. No more than five percent of Marine recruits can be GED-holders. The Army allows no more than ten percent each year, and the Navy limits GED enlistments to no more than five to ten percent each year."

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:12 AM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I'm an Air Force brat and Navy veteran. I can tell you that they do things on a case by case basis; however, the Air Force is the strictest branch you're going to find. If your friend wants to join the Armed Services as a way to travel to different parts of the world, the Navy is actually the best one to go with. Most recruits go straight to a ship after their training. In some cases, that ship will leave within eight weeks for a deployment lasting anywhere from seven to nine months. This happened with me and I saw a great many places.

Your friend should call the different branches of recruiting offices in your area and get it straight from the recruiters. Sometimes, if it's near the end of the month and they really need their quote, they'll sign them on (just don't count on the Air Force to do that).
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 9:18 AM on Oct. 20, 2010